Interesting forebare/relatives

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: The only one i have so far is a silk box maker. he made boxes for top hats.His brother owned a silk mill and was quite wealthy, but of course we descend from the poorer relatives!As a Pagan magistrate I am probably the most interesting person in my family tree<LOL>! And on theis site too my friend.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

simonm wrote: Majority of my family have the usual war stories etc but most of the "good stuff" is from my maternal grandmother.Going back she was part of the great North Yorkshire Metcalfe family. The family home was Nappa Hall nr Askrig. Presently owned by a metcalf who rents it to a farmer to run. Sadly the main hall is till standing, but in desperate need of renovation as it has become quite dangerous.Very brief history of the "clan"http://www.metcalfe.org.uk/content/theclan.htmThe most famous of the Metcalfe clan and ancestor of my grandma was Blind Jackhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Jack What a lad eh?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

simonm wrote: I take it this threads dies on it's @rse then.. Do you know what Simon,every time ive signed on since i started this thread,and then gone to Active Threads,today has been the first time that the thread came up,showing 9 replies,so i dont know whats gone on there.Ok heres another one,not as good as yours Simon,but nevertheless worth mentioning.My Grandad was a driver of munitions vehicles at the front in WW1.It may not like have been like going over the top but it was dangerous work as the enemy would target the convoys with artillery.Needless to say the old lad copped for one,getting some shrapnel in his leg and then being sent home.The shrapnel could not be removed safely,but instead of sitting at home for the rest of the war he reenlisted ,keeping his injury quiet,and served in Palestine.Different breed of men,different breed.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Martyn wrote: My Great-grandfather Robert Siddle (1852-1924) was awarded the MBE for services to trade unions. He started a union for the tanning industry in the Meanwood Valley.When he was a young man, he used to enjoy a pint in the Primrose pub on Meanwood Road (still there) on a Friday night. One Friday, he was in there as usual when he spotted a bloke that he owed money to. He felt so guilty that he put his beer down and left the pub. He signed the pledge and went on to be a founder member of Clowes Methodist Church at the bottom of Cambridge Road, never touching another drop of alcohol in his life.I ought to add that this sorry state of affairs has been properly rectified by his descendants.     And long may they continue to do so!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Am surprised Arry hasnt got owt for us.Also,has anyone heard or seen anything of Wiggy?was in Sainsburys and saw some bottles of Adnams on the shelf,made me think about him,then realised i hadnt seen anything by him for ages.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Cnosni. Cracking story and worthy, very worthy. Like you say, different breed altogether.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

simonm wrote: Cnosni. Cracking story and worthy, very worthy. Like you say, different breed altogether.     They certainly were a different breed, Chris. After being sunk, my uncle (see post above) spent nearly five days on a raft with no food or water, and a shattered leg and temporarily blinded by oil. Eventually, he was picked up by an Italian torpedo boat, and spent several weeks in hospital in Tripoli. He was told he was the only survivor. He then spent eighteen months in a POW camp in Italy, living on macaroni and water, before being repatriated as part of a prisoner exchange. He was given only three weeks leave, before being sent on the Arctic convoys.On an earlier occasion, he was invited on board HMS Tetrarch, a Royal Navy submarine, in Alexandria harbour, to celebrate a mate's birthday with a few rums. He awoke to the sound of engines, and running up on deck, he saw the sub had sailed, and was leaving port. He dived over the side undetected, and swam back to shore. The Tetrarch never returned, presumed lost at sea. His parents received a telegram saying he was missing on war duty, because he wasn't signed off the ship's company!Simonm...did you ever meet him? He occasionally visited The Albion with us. PS A few years ago (he was about 77) he was accosted by two teenage thugs on the way home from the bowling club. They demanded his money. He was a bit wobbly on his feet by then (age, not rum!) so he told the lads they'd have to get his wallet out of his pocket. One lad stepped forward - big mistake - and got nutted. They legged it squealing like babies!    

simonm

Post by simonm »

Si, shame, but no, I never did meet him. Sounds like a cracking bloke. Great story. I love listening to stuff like that. Just after we left the Albion the wife went to work in a Jewish care home up Moortown way and I helped out on a weekend. One old chap, Who was well into his 90's, but so very sprightly hs demeanour didn't give in to his age at all. He had served in BOTH the wars, lying at the enlistment of each as to his true age to enable him to get in.Some of the younger girl carers were so nasty about him, once said "That old b@st*** Mr M........ is such a miserable old git" etc etc.I stood there open mouthed and said that I hope they NEVER see what he has seen and done in his lifetime. The very fact he was in his 90's and stood firm agianst tyranny etc etc etc gives the very right TO be miserable if he so wishes. I used to sit for hours talking to him and never once found him anything but fascinating!!!!Such a shame that todays youth, not all you understand, are so dismissive of these people.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: simonm wrote: Cnosni. Cracking story and worthy, very worthy. Like you say, different breed altogether.     They certainly were a different breed, Chris. After being sunk, my uncle (see post above) spent nearly five days on a raft with no food or water, and a shattered leg and temporarily blinded by oil. Eventually, he was picked up by an Italian torpedo boat, and spent several weeks in hospital in Tripoli. He was told he was the only survivor. He then spent eighteen months in a POW camp in Italy, living on macaroni and water, before being repatriated as part of a prisoner exchange. He was given only three weeks leave, before being sent on the Arctic convoys.On an earlier occasion, he was invited on board HMS Tetrarch, a Royal Navy submarine, in Alexandria harbour, to celebrate a mate's birthday with a few rums. He awoke to the sound of engines, and running up on deck, he saw the sub had sailed, and was leaving port. He dived over the side undetected, and swam back to shore. The Tetrarch never returned, presumed lost at sea. His parents received a telegram saying he was missing on war duty, because he wasn't signed off the ship's company!Simonm...did you ever meet him? He occasionally visited The Albion with us. PS A few years ago (he was about 77) he was accosted by two teenage thugs on the way home from the bowling club. They demanded his money. He was a bit wobbly on his feet by then (age, not rum!) so he told the lads they'd have to get his wallet out of his pocket. One lad stepped forward - big mistake - and got nutted. They legged it squealing like babies!     Wow,these stories are getting better and better.Definitely a top old lad,who obviously had lay luck on his side in WW2.

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: simonm wrote: Cnosni. Cracking story and worthy, very worthy. Like you say, different breed altogether.     They certainly were a different breed, Chris. After being sunk, my uncle (see post above) spent nearly five days on a raft with no food or water, and a shattered leg and temporarily blinded by oil. Eventually, he was picked up by an Italian torpedo boat, and spent several weeks in hospital in Tripoli. He was told he was the only survivor. He then spent eighteen months in a POW camp in Italy, living on macaroni and water, before being repatriated as part of a prisoner exchange. He was given only three weeks leave, before being sent on the Arctic convoys.On an earlier occasion, he was invited on board HMS Tetrarch, a Royal Navy submarine, in Alexandria harbour, to celebrate a mate's birthday with a few rums. He awoke to the sound of engines, and running up on deck, he saw the sub had sailed, and was leaving port. He dived over the side undetected, and swam back to shore. The Tetrarch never returned, presumed lost at sea. His parents received a telegram saying he was missing on war duty, because he wasn't signed off the ship's company!Simonm...did you ever meet him? He occasionally visited The Albion with us. PS A few years ago (he was about 77) he was accosted by two teenage thugs on the way home from the bowling club. They demanded his money. He was a bit wobbly on his feet by then (age, not rum!) so he told the lads they'd have to get his wallet out of his pocket. One lad stepped forward - big mistake - and got nutted. They legged it squealing like babies!     Wow,these stories are getting better and better.Definitely a top old lad,who obviously had lay luck on his side in WW2. He certainly did. He was sunk four times altogether. Luck, together with supreme physical fitness (he boxed middleweight for the Navy, and played football and water polo for his ship) and determination saw him through. He was tough as old boots.He was trained as an Asdic operator (early sonar,) and once spent 24 hours at his post in order to sink a U-boat. He was to be 'mentioned in despatches,' but unfortunately, it was withdrawn when the authorities discovered that, when back on dry land, he was under arrest for beating up four Red Caps, who picked on him knowing of his reputation! While in the slammer, a guard hit him on the shins with his rifle butt, so, in his own words, he "put him in the sick-bay."