Interesting forebare/relatives

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Anyone have some interesting characters in their family /family tree ?Im thinking along the lines of someone involved in a famous event (or an infamous one),sad story,wicked or just plain odd.Ive a few in my tree,including a 2 time bigamist (distant relative ill have you know)He was a chap called John Thomas Molden born in Leeds 1853.He married in 1873 to a Betsy Green.John was a travelling salesman and despite the fact that he had 4 children in Leeds (1881 census) he appears to have married a Sarah Ann Gray in the Derby area,then by 1891 was in Manchester with 5 children whilst Betsy Green was in Leeds having more children with another bloke called Thomas Hughes.John Thomas then struck up a relationship in 1912 with an Edith Super,following the death of his "wife" Sarah Ann Gray in 1910.John and Edith had 4 children between 1912 and 1918,and despite the fact that they registered their childrens births to show they were married they did not marry until 1918,and yes you guessed it,Betsy Green was still alive in Leeds.She married Thomas Hughes in 1925.Saucey chap eh?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

As far as forebears go, I have an ancestor who was killed in the 19th century when she was "run down by the Mail," aged 14, at the junction of Halifax Road and Brow Lane, Shelf. That's as exciting as it gets, I'm afraid.    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: I have an ancestor who was killed in the 19th century when she was "run down by the Mail," aged 14, at the junction of Halifax Road and Brow Lane, Shelf. That's as exciting as it gets, I'm afraid. No one in any of the wars Si?Anyone who worked somewhere notable,or an odd profession?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: I have an ancestor who was killed in the 19th century when she was "run down by the Mail," aged 14, at the junction of Halifax Road and Brow Lane, Shelf. That's as exciting as it gets, I'm afraid. No one in any of the wars Si?Anyone who worked somewhere notable,or an odd profession? My grandad (mother's side) was in the Black Watch in the First World War, and survived, unlike any information about what he did, unfortunately. My great grandad also fought with The Dukes, but again, no stories.There's a long line of publicans, though. GGG grandad, William (Derby Arms, Douglas, IOM,) his sons, Bethel (Boot and Shoe, Bank) and Joseph (Pine Apple, Quarry Hill - picture on Leodis,) and Bethel's son (my G grandad,) Frederick (pub unknown, probably in Hunslet.)Oh, and my uncle Norman, who died in 2005, was the sole survivor (of over 750) from HMS Neptune, sunk by mines in the Med, 1941. His daughter (my cousin) has just written and published his biography. He was born near Gateshead, but lived in Pudsey from the early 60s. He was also a successful professional boxer.    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The only one i have so far is a silk box maker. he made boxes for top hats.His brother owned a silk mill and was quite wealthy, but of course we descend from the poorer relatives!As a Pagan magistrate I am probably the most interesting person in my family tree<LOL>!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Si

Post by Si »

Steve Jones wrote: The only one i have so far is a silk box maker. he made boxes for top hats.His brother owned a silk mill and was quite wealthy, but of course we descend from the poorer relatives!As a Pagan magistrate I am probably the most interesting person in my family tree<LOL>! You're telling me!!!        

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Si wrote: Steve Jones wrote: The only one i have so far is a silk box maker. he made boxes for top hats.His brother owned a silk mill and was quite wealthy, but of course we descend from the poorer relatives!As a Pagan magistrate I am probably the most interesting person in my family tree<LOL>! You're telling me!!!         And me
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Majority of my family have the usual war stories etc but most of the "good stuff" is from my maternal grandmother.Going back she was part of the great North Yorkshire Metcalfe family. The family home was Nappa Hall nr Askrig. Presently owned by a metcalf who rents it to a farmer to run. Sadly the main hall is till standing, but in desperate need of renovation as it has become quite dangerous.Very brief history of the "clan"http://www.metcalfe.org.uk/content/theclan.htmThe most famous of the Metcalfe clan and ancestor of my grandma was Blind Jackhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Jack
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

I take it this threads dies on it's @rse then..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

My Great-grandfather Robert Siddle (1852-1924) was awarded the MBE for services to trade unions. He started a union for the tanning industry in the Meanwood Valley.When he was a young man, he used to enjoy a pint in the Primrose pub on Meanwood Road (still there) on a Friday night. One Friday, he was in there as usual when he spotted a bloke that he owed money to. He felt so guilty that he put his beer down and left the pub. He signed the pledge and went on to be a founder member of Clowes Methodist Church at the bottom of Cambridge Road, never touching another drop of alcohol in his life.I ought to add that this sorry state of affairs has been properly rectified by his descendants.    
Attachments
__TFMF_d0roasne21a5b32yeu0heyv1_de750be0-5ed4-47dc-a833-b7489c2ea27b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_d0roasne21a5b32yeu0heyv1_de750be0-5ed4-47dc-a833-b7489c2ea27b_0_main.jpg (18.96 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.