Leeds Absent Voters List,1918

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Have found a useful link for Family Historians who had members of their family in the First World War.Its a council website transcript of the indexes held in the Leeds central libraryThere was a General Election in 1918. All those away from their place of residence (so including all men in the army) were listed on Absent Voters Lists. These usually recorded the man's regiment, number and rank at the time, as well as his home address.A database of 50,000 names compiled from the Leeds Absent Voters List of the Leeds Electoral Roll 1914/1918.An act of Parliament passed on 6 February, 1918 allowed service men to register in order to obtain a vote in a constituency of their home address. The first lists were published on 15 October, 1918 from applications received up to 18 August, 1918. The second list was published on 15 April, 1919. The index provided is a combination of the two, the details given are those supplied by the men themselves and not by their dependants.http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Leisure_and_cul ... ar.aspxThe index is surname searchable,which gives you a reference number to then check the address.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Briggy

Post by Briggy »

This is really interesting - thanks for the link - I found my grandad on the list and it gave info that I didn't know about.

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks, Chris.I can't find my great grandad on the list, but the site is very interesting, nevertheless.

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

This is really good - when I was at the Central Library in the family history centre, I met the gentleman who set this list up - it found me my great grand uncle who was eventually killed n the war

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

When you've got the reference number, where do you find the list to look through?

Samson

Post by Samson »

Once you get the code number eg 1860seThe se is for south east(Leeds)There is a box of downloads on the search page to the right and click on the one for Leeds South East and then find the number which gives you the street.Hope this is clear!!
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

ceejaylufc wrote: This is really good - when I was at the Central Library in the family history centre, I met the gentleman who set this list up - it found me my great grand uncle who was eventually killed n the war Yeah,hes a top bloke.He is in the library every time i go.He moves around asking everyine if they are looking for someone in WW1.every time he comes to me i smile and he says"Ive seen you"This is a chap who deserves some serious recognition for what he has done.By the way for anyone interested in a possible death in WW1 or WW2 then go to the Commonwealth War Graves commision website,which is fully searchable with NO charge.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]