Help wanted for Rock pub bramley please

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
weenie

Post by weenie »

hi i found this gold leafed memory book about 12 years ago under some floorboards at my aunties house on the broadlea estate, and was wondering if anyone could help me find out how i can get in touch with the person this book belong to? on the front page it has written:Miss Ethel Birch with best wishes for your birthday from uncle and auntie a + r it has been filled with many little poems or notes to Ethel with various dates from early as 18/02/1923 what make me ask about the rock pub is on one of the pages it reads theres a little girl named ethel who lives at the rock.......... so if anyone can tell me how to go about finding this lady without birthdates etc would be most helpful.

kelly

Post by kelly »

weenie wrote: hi i found this gold leafed memory book about 12 years ago under some floorboards at my aunties house on the broadlea estate, and was wondering if anyone could help me find out how i can get in touch with the person this book belong to? on the front page it has written:Miss Ethel Birch with best wishes for your birthday from uncle and auntie a + r it has been filled with many little poems or notes to Ethel with various dates from early as 18/02/1923 what make me ask about the rock pub is on one of the pages it reads theres a little girl named ethel who lives at the rock.......... so if anyone can tell me how to go about finding this lady without birthdates etc would be most helpful. the sandford/ broadlea estate was built mid 30s so it must have been wrote from another address years earlierwhy not try to find out all the licencee,s at the rock in the 1st half of the 20th cenutry
we are all descendants of the ragged trousered philanthropists

weenie

Post by weenie »

i have tried googling pubs directory 1900+ but havent come up with owt, wondered if i was doing anything wrong? thankyou though :-)

daver

Post by daver »

The Rock public house is on the Leeds Bradford Road Just past the end of Rock Lane. This may be the one you are looking for

daver

Post by daver »

The Rock public house is on the Leeds Bradford Road Just past the end of Rock Lane. This may be the one you are looking for

daver

Post by daver »

daver

Post by daver »

oops sorry

weenie

Post by weenie »

thanks i was looking for that ones records but can not get anything!!

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Weenie,I've had a look at Births, Deaths & Marriages on Ancestry for Ethel Birch's birth. I guess that if she was a "little girl" in 1923 it's pointless looking at the Census, as the latest is 1901 (making her older than 22 - not exactly a "little girl!") Unfortunately, Ethel Birch is a more common name than you might think, and as we've got so little to work on (no birthday, birthplace etc) it's a bit of a needle in a haystack. She may not have been born in Leeds or Yorkshire at all, being a (presumed) publican's daughter. The nearest (geographically) was an Ethel Birch, born first quarter 1884 in Bramley, but she's way too old.Is there any other info - parents' or auntie and uncle's names? Let me know if you find owt.Cheers,Si.

Si

Post by Si »

Had a quick look on GENUKI and found this transcribed from the 1891 Census:"The Rock InnJonathan Woodhead 60 innkeeper born HonleySarah Woodhead wife 56 born StainlandHannah Whitehead servant 28 born LindleyGeorge Storey servant 34 born LondonLucy Bracewell visitor 52 'living on own means' born Leeds"Not much help, I'm afraid.