Help !!!

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Si

Post by Si »

ceejaylufc wrote: That's the one - thanks ever so Tasa, it is the one in Edgar Street, I found that out through the censusI didn't realise that the British were actually in Corfu, and that's a really good picture Si, can't think of the Greeks playing cricket , thanks for that, will put it in the records And Arry, thanks for everything, you put me (and everybody else) onto Google and I've got somewhere Well done everybody and thanks again Chris xxxxxxxx Hi Chris,Yeah, Corfu was British. We got it when Napoleon was finally beaten in 1815. Before that it was Roman, Byzantine, Norman, Venetian, then French. Surprisingly, unlike most of the rest of Greece, it was never occupied by the Turks. It finally became Greek in about 1864.We were responsible for building the road network, the water supply, schools and the university, and for introducing cricket!History lesson over!Cheers,Si.

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

Ok ceejaylufc ....... a little snippet more.I am not sure how much you know about your ancestor Private Chadwick and his son; but over a bowl of particular fine Sweet Potato and Chilli soup this lunchtime I had a wee poke about the census returns ........ and it was really rather interesting.I am certain that your 3x grandfather (son of Private Chadwick) was called William Chadwick. I found the first reference to him in the 1861 census.William Chadwick, aged 7, is recorded as a Ragged School Inmate (grief ..... that sounds appalling!), residing in a Ragged School situated in two adjoining addresses 27 & 28 Ellerby Road, Leeds. William resided at No.27 , with 20 other "inmates" under the supervision of Robert and Mary Ambler who resided with their family at No.28. Robert (38 years) is described as 'School Master and Methodist local preacher), Mary (41 years) was "matron of ragged school', his daughter Elizabeth (21 years) was a 'School Mistress ragged school' and Mary Jane (14 years) was a 'teacher' (? at the ragged school).The census records him as 'not employed' (mmmmm ......... seven years old!!)The other 'inmates' and their trades/employment were:James Blaides 10 [shoe blacker]James Boocock 12 [not employed] John Clark 15 [mechanic]James Crawford 11 [shoe blacker]William Henry Golton 14 [employed at a silk mill]Samuel Kirtledon 14 [not employed]Edward Longbottom 11 [shoe blacker]John Ottewell 16 [shoe blacker]Edward Pearson 15 [shoe blacker]John Ratcliff 7 [not employed]Ralph Richardson 12 [in a paper wharehouse]John Shires 14 [shoe blacker]Leonard Shires 11 [shoe blacker]James Smith 15 [mechanic]John Smith 14 [shoe blacker]Benjamin Stark 11 [shoe blacker]James Whitaker 13 [not employed ........ BLIND!]John Willis 14 [shoe blacker]There is one other piece of critical information that I think confirms that William Chadwick is the son of Private Chadwick ........ his place of birth ........ which is recorded as Malta. The connection I suspect is revealed here:http://website.lineone.net/~peterbidmea ... nts2.htmIt appears that Private Chadwicks regiment (9th Regiment of Foot) was in Malta from at least April 1854 to Janaury 1855 during the Crimea War campaign. Interestingly the website records that on December 19th 1854 "P.&.O Himalaya, large number of wounded and convalescents from many regiments, plus 4 Officers, 18 Sergeants, 1 Drummer, 116 Men, 234 Women, 303 Children, to England" ........... could this have included a very young William ChadwickI can find no other information about this Ragged School. At first I wondered if it had something to do with Mount St Mary convent which I think was(?is) on or about Ellerby Road, before spotting Robert Ambler's work as a Methodist Preacher. I can see on google that there was a Methodist Chapel on Ellerby RoadCheersG

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Great effort by everyone here.Just been sitting back and reading the unfolding story.So what happened to young William then ceejay?I could have a look but it would be interesting to hear what youve found.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

Right, I lost track of William Henry from 1861-1877, I cannot find him anywhere in the 1871 census. I know he married Mary Ann Walters in aproximately 1877 in Stoke on Trent (Have got the marriage certificate for that) and he was a coal miner, I know he moved back to Leeds probably after he got married and then he was definitely in Castleford in 1881 and then to Oldham in 1891. He was in Leeds in 1901 and died in 1914.    Thanks again grumpy, I do love your choice of soups and thanks to everybody else. If anybody finds out what happened between 1861 to 1877 that would be absolutely brill and just fill in the missing bits - I'm mainly doing all this for my dad, his mum died last year (she was 95) and he has developed a "wanting" to find out who his relatives are. I'm finding it really interesting as well, for instance, I have found out that the majority of my relatives on my dad's side have all been married twice - men and women, that runs straight through the generations.Once again thanks to all who are helping me in this chris xxxxxx