Greenfield Terrace?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hi guys. Site admin have taken a step back so it might be a while before they spot it.The only real protocols are no blatant advertising (spamming) and "mind your language" as kids may be reading. Respect for other posters and not being too critical of LCC (the hand that feeds as they run the site) are also requirements.There is no facility for private messaging but you could arrange to meet or publish contact details but I certainly wouldn't recommend it without some disguise (at instead of @ etc) as Secret Leeds often tops Google searches e.g. <+"greenfield terrace" +leeds> puts this thread in the top 10 <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls= ... Bleeds>You could also arrange to temporarily display your email addresses in your profiles for an agreed period at an agreed time. If you ask nicely and they are watching you could also request that Munki or DSCO (the site admin) send you each others email addresses.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

stonesey

Post by stonesey »

Thanks Tyke Bhoy for all the info, still a bit green regarding what you can/can't do and don't want to upset anyone!Message for Lippy below:Have I to request that site admin forward our email addresses to each other. An alternative would be to join Genes re-united. I'm already a member & have got a lot of info from their site. Only thing is you have to pay-think it's abot £6.99 for 6 mths. Or could become a member of Friends re-united for free. Can then contact through either one.General info:Leeds City library research section will also do one free 'simple' search regarding addresses /people etc in the Leeds area. They were very helpful when I asked them about Greenfield Terrace, and also replied quickly. They can look on old voting lists for you, or if you call in to the main library in Leeds you can do the research yourself. I'll pass on their email address if anyone wants it.Regards

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I can throughly recommend Genes reunited for family history (also look at the Family History thread on here for some excellent tips).I have had some excellent results.Nice to see Secret Leeds now reuniting families<LOL>.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

stonesey

Post by stonesey »

Forgot to mention in last message!12 Greenfield Terrace was in the Richmond Hill area, off Upper Accomodation Road,Leeds 9 . The library could find no details of anyone at that address on the electoral register of 1900 or 1900-1901. This could mean that either they weren't registered to vote or that no-one lived there at that time.You can get a copy of the ordnance survey maps of that area from the Local Studies Dept. for 25p (A4) or 50p ( A3) plus £1 p&p. Or you can call in for the maps you want & save p&p.

lippy

Post by lippy »

hi i am already on friends reunited my surname was douglas but i married i dont live in leeds anymore i live on the east coast but all my family are stilll there so i do come over now and again in fact i shall be in leeds on friday i dont mind if we can swop emails that would be great so if you would like to ask them thats fine by meregards lippy

stonesey

Post by stonesey »

Hi lippyI've e mailed site admin to ask if they can send email details to each of us, so fingers crossed. I became a Douglas when I married. My husband was one of 4 brothers and he also had a sister. I know at least one brother was married and had a daughter who was actually my little bridesmaid. She would have been born about 1960. I think they lived (or had some relations) living near Elland Road/Holbeck.I don't want to be too specific with names as I'm not sure if thats ok.

lippy

Post by lippy »

i was a bridesmaid for my dads brother i think i know who you arethe birth date of 1960 isnt far wrong infact it was very close

stonesey

Post by stonesey »

I'ts a bit daft that we have to talk in code! My bridesmaids name began with E and her Dads began with R. My eldest son was born in 1964 and that would make you cousins.I still have all my wedding photos and if it is you, then you're on quite a few.Still haven't had a reply from admin.

lippy

Post by lippy »

its me i have no photos we will have to find a way round it we both worked for the same company maybe we could meet at their head office i will be in leeds in sept what do you think

stonesey

Post by stonesey »

Hi Lippy,I've just posted a message on a thread 'Private messaging' I'm hoping I will get a reply from admin through it, as it seems to be from the technical dept. There's seems to be quite a few people wanting to get in touch but not sure how.When you said we worked for the same firm, which one was it. as I'm not too sure? I've just been on the Friends Reunited website for a clue!! It seems a bit of a detour from the Greenfield Terrace thread, but hopefully we can also find out who lived there.I also go over to the East Coast regularly, in fact I've just come back from there today. It would be fine to meet up in Leeds in September & catch up on family history etc.