Shop Signs

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Longstaff

Post by Longstaff »

Hello thereThis may be the most 'off the wall' post you are likely to read (if you pardon the pun). My family and I are about to emigrate to Australia. One of the things I can't take with me is an original 'TUROG BREAD' sign; it came from my great grandmother's bakery and shop in Stocksfield, Northumberland (family name LONGSTAFF). I don't suppose any of you know of any organisation who might like to have it?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Longstaff wrote: Hello thereThis may be the most 'off the wall' post you are likely to read (if you pardon the pun). My family and I are about to emigrate to Australia. One of the things I can't take with me is an original 'TUROG BREAD' sign; it came from my great grandmother's bakery and shop in Stocksfield, Northumberland (family name LONGSTAFF). I don't suppose any of you know of any organisation who might like to have it? Surprised Phil_d hasnt replied to this one,he loves signs.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Longstaff wrote: Hello thereThis may be the most 'off the wall' post you are likely to read (if you pardon the pun). My family and I are about to emigrate to Australia. One of the things I can't take with me is an original 'TUROG BREAD' sign; it came from my great grandmother's bakery and shop in Stocksfield, Northumberland (family name LONGSTAFF). I don't suppose any of you know of any organisation who might like to have it? Just like to say all the very best for the future to you and your family.Is there a museum in your area that might like to have it.Some museums have old fashiond shops if you donated it to one of them you would know it was going to a good home.        

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Firstly all the very best to you in your venture "Down Under."Various places spring to mind which I'm sure would appreciate your "slice of history" - the puns get worse !!May I suggest you try The Tramway Village at Crich, Beamish Museum in County Durham, North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Keighley and Worth Valley Railway etc etc. If delivery over a distance is difficult I'm sure there will be preserved railways etc in Devon where it will add to the period atmospherer and be of great value.Good luck.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.