Things you miss about the old Leeds. . .

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leeds Lass wrote: Si wrote: Tetley Mild. I used to love mild!!! And I'm a laydeee!!! lol I could never persuade Helen to drink mild, or bitter and lime or even light and lime. It was gin and lime or brandy and lime However she drinks cider now so that's ok (not that I'm any tighter than the average Yorkshireman)
Industria Omnia Vincit

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Trojan wrote: Leeds Lass wrote: Si wrote: Tetley Mild. I used to love mild!!! And I'm a laydeee!!! lol I could never persuade Helen to drink mild, or bitter and lime or even light and lime. It was gin and lime or brandy and lime However she drinks cider now so that's ok (not that I'm any tighter than the average Yorkshireman) LOL! Ooh, I used to like the odd glass of light too! My old mum did it right, bless her, she used to drink Barley Wine in the 70's! Bloody hell, paintstripper or what?! I once asked for a taste...needless to say, I didn't ask again!!! Mind you, she could drink neat whiskey too! Ugh!!! Gimme a mild any day!!!    

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Traffic on Briggate. Daft I know but I think that it looks half empty most of the time (bar Sat afternoons).The old red bus station as has been mentioned.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Gandalf wrote: Traffic on Briggate. Daft I know but I think that it looks half empty most of the time (bar Sat afternoons).The old red bus station as has been mentioned. I couldn't agree more my friend - although a moderate degree of pedestrianisation has its place I suppose they've certainly gone "over the top" in Leeds I think.Being a transport buff, serious rather than an "anorak", I miss the majestic sight of the buses sweeping out of North Street past the Chest Clinic and over the brow to stop opposite Lewiss's, and then down Briggate to the stop at Woolworth's before descending Lower Briggate to cross the river, continuing along Hunslet ROAD (before Tetley's hi-jacked the thoroughfare) to the south of the City - number 3 to Middleton, number 6 to Belle Isle. My old English mistress at IGS would have rebuked me for a sentence the length of that one !!    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

"...a sentence of that length," surely? ;-)

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

BLAKEY wrote: Gandalf wrote: Traffic on Briggate. Daft I know but I think that it looks half empty most of the time (bar Sat afternoons).The old red bus station as has been mentioned. I couldn't agree more my friend - although a moderate degree of pedestrianisation has its place I suppose they've certainly gone "over the top" in Leeds I think.Being a transport buff, serious rather than an "anorak", I miss the majestic sight of the buses sweeping out of North Street past the Chest Clinic and over the brow to stop opposite Lewiss's, and then down Briggate to the stop at Woolworth's before descending Lower Briggate to cross the river, continuing along Hunslet ROAD (before Tetley's hi-jacked the thoroughfare) to the south of the City - number 3 to Middleton, number 6 to Belle Isle. My old English mistress at IGS would have rebuked me for a sentence the length of that one !!     Poetic, almost to the standard of Night Mail - W.H. AudenThis is the Night Mail crossing the border,Bringing the cheque and the postal order ....I miss the bus numbers as well. 10,19,21 to Oakwood, circular around Moortown and back to Middleton.

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

The red bus station on Vicar Lane and the 10-20p fares I used to pay to get there from Yeadon when I was a kid, the Market Tavern (although I never went in it), the Original Penny Arcade, Beatties model shop with the train set going round on the wall, the covered area outside Schofields and the maze-like interior of the shop, the Town Hall being jet black, the enormous floodlights at Elland Road, the badge shop in the Merrion Centre, the grubby little street that got replaced by the St Johns Centre, going to see a film at the Odeon and then another one down at the ABC, sitting in the garden of rest waiting for the pubs to re-open on Saturday afternoons, Kirkstall power station, fleamarkets at the Queen’s Hall, comic fairs at the Griffin Hotel and the big ‘Playhouse’ sign…
"This is the North. We do what we like."

wayniac

Post by wayniac »

Adlemans outfitters. Going there to get my first school uniform. Another trip to get my cubs gear (woggle, tabs and green jumper).The old co-ops, especially the big one on Commercial Street with the air tubes taking the money to the accounts department. Spending the "divi".Club cards to buy shoes.The pet shop and the toy shop in the Grand Arcade.Neville Hill sidings and "cabbing" a locomotive.Grandma saying, "one day we'll go to the Queens Hotel". Meaning when we get rich (never!)".Range Rider lucky bags.penny bangers.    

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

The old tramps on the bus station in the late 60s/early 70s.I didn;t live in Leeds but my parents both worked there and we used to go into Leeds a lot from Sherburn. And my first impression as a kid was always the impressive tramps all over the bus station. Ex army tramps, younger tramps, older tramps, proper tramps, all kinds of tramps. Where did they all go?Also anyone remember that cafe/shop up Briggate I think it was - above the Headrow, anyway, on the same side as the museum - where they sold all the fancy Twinings teas in tins?And Schofields.

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

Ooh and I forgot. That little herbalists' on Fish St I think it was. If ever I had a cough or cold or summat minor up, dad would always take me in there. And I remember the market before the fire.