THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
polos
PostsCOLON 24
JoinedCOLON Tue 02 Dec, 2014 5:37 am

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Postby polos » Mon 01 May, 2017 1:58 am

Bus drivers winding a handle to change the display destination. Oh and the old ker-ching tickets.
volvojack
PostsCOLON 689
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Postby volvojack » Mon 01 May, 2017 9:28 am

[quote="polos"]Bus drivers winding a handle to change the display destination. Oh and the old ker-ching tickets.

That winding handle bit I had forgotton completely polos,
As for the tickets we used to pinch them out of the wooden box on the platforms where people had deposited them getting off of the Tram. this was done at the Terminus while the Conductor was at the other end having a chat and a smoke with the Driver.... we then used them to play instead of cigarette cards
jma
PostsCOLON 150
JoinedCOLON Fri 05 Aug, 2016 3:38 pm

Postby jma » Mon 01 May, 2017 9:52 am

polos wroteColonBus drivers winding a handle to change the display destination. Oh and the old ker-ching tickets.

It's the conductors you really don't see any more, as volvojack's post reminds us, although they do have them on bendy buses.

The last traditional-type bus conductor I saw was in Doncaster probably early 1980's when the fares in South Yorkshire were still heavily subsidised. We were visiting my late sister-in-law and we took our children to the St Leger fair. Three adults and two children and the fares were still very little. Assuming it would be more, I gave the conductor probably a quid, possibly a fiver and he went wild. I ended up with most of my change in copper, given me in instalments as other passengers paid their fares. Just like the good old days of Leeds City Transport. :lol:

Return to