THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
volvojack

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by volvojack »

[quote="polos"]Bus drivers winding a handle to change the display destination. Oh and the old ker-ching tickets.

That winding handle bit I had forgotton completely polos,
As for the tickets we used to pinch them out of the wooden box on the platforms where people had deposited them getting off of the Tram. this was done at the Terminus while the Conductor was at the other end having a chat and a smoke with the Driver.... we then used them to play instead of cigarette cards

jma

Post by jma »

polos wrote:Bus drivers winding a handle to change the display destination. Oh and the old ker-ching tickets.
It's the conductors you really don't see any more, as volvojack's post reminds us, although they do have them on bendy buses.

The last traditional-type bus conductor I saw was in Doncaster probably early 1980's when the fares in South Yorkshire were still heavily subsidised. We were visiting my late sister-in-law and we took our children to the St Leger fair. Three adults and two children and the fares were still very little. Assuming it would be more, I gave the conductor probably a quid, possibly a fiver and he went wild. I ended up with most of my change in copper, given me in instalments as other passengers paid their fares. Just like the good old days of Leeds City Transport. :lol:

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Don't think this has been done before.

Football pools collectors.
House to house calls on a Thursday night,and most factories etc had a collector

Paid about 12.5% commission if I remember correctly
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the !950s i worked at a Tailoring Factory in Leeds where it was quite usual for one man to collect people's Football coupon and cash week after week and send it off to Littlewoods or Vernon's. This had been the regular thing for some time until one weekend there was a punter who had so many correct lines and had a fair amount of winnings to come. Monday morning it transpired that he had been keeping the money for some time, not only did not turn in for work but had left his Wife and family home.
There was also a weekly collection around factory's for the Annual trip, usually to the Coast and it was not unknown for the collector to do a "Runner" with the money, hence the nickname "The Diddlem Club".

Luckily for the Nicholsons in Castleford in the early 1960s they collected what i think was a record amount at the time.
She said she would "Spend Spend Spend" and certainly did just that. Her husband Keith did not last long, killing himself, crashing his Jaguar into a tree.
By the middle 1960s i was managing a Carpet shop in Castleford and she was roaring up and down the streets in a Pink American convertible, she had her hair dyed Pink, plus dressed from head to toe in Pink.
I was told that their winnings of about £160,000 was the equivalent of over Three Million in today's money.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

volvojack wrote:In the !950s i worked at a Tailoring Factory in Leeds where it was quite usual for one man to collect people's Football coupon and cash week after week and send it off to Littlewoods or Vernon's. This had been the regular thing for some time until one weekend there was a punter who had so many correct lines and had a fair amount of winnings to come. Monday morning it transpired that he had been keeping the money for some time, not only did not turn in for work but had left his Wife and family home.
There was also a weekly collection around factory's for the Annual trip, usually to the Coast and it was not unknown for the collector to do a "Runner" with the money, hence the nickname "The Diddlem Club".

It must have been a common, because it happened to me/us working at the PO Telephones.

http://www.secretleeds.com/posting.php? ... e7cd0f7fa1#
Luckily for the Nicholsons in Castleford in the early 1960s they collected what i think was a record amount at the time.
She said she would "Spend Spend Spend" and certainly did just that. Her husband Keith did not last long, killing himself, crashing his Jaguar into a tree.
They had their bungalow not far from here, on Garforth Cliff.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Jumping crackers. Zulu Bangers.Old type wooden pegs.Women going to the pub out sales with a pot jug for beer.The coal man delivering sacks of coal.Bundles of fire wood held together with a wire tie.Glass accumulater battery's that you took back to the shop to exchange for a fully charged one. :D
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

On the counter in cafes, a container with, usually, some orange liquid circulating round. You knew it was circulating because there'd be a plastic orange floating in it.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Though i did contribute some things from the past on this thread, i have never read it from the beginning.
A BIg Thank You to all. apart from some great and not so great memories it is such a long time since i have laughed so much.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Edited
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 21 May, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

volvojack wrote:I was going to say Boxing at Elland Road by Leeds lad, warrington rhino (Well Done) but am forgetting that from about the 1960s we have had mobs of hooligan supporters from both home and away who could , wrestle , kung fu and fight running battles quite regularly along Elland Road.
:? warrington rhino??