History of Irish pub behind Town Hall

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
fevlad

Post by fevlad »

there's this irish pub behind the twon hallit has all sorts of symbols carved or should I say embossed on the stonework, including a six pointed star.does anyone know the history of this building?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Simple answer. It is an ex masonic lodge which is why the symbols are there.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

i have to pop out so don't have time to google at the mo' but wasn't it something law related? maybe a court house?i vaguely remember when it was the felon and firkin there was law memorabilia on the walls, and thats where it got the 'felon' bit of the name from...

Si

Post by Si »

There's another old Masonic Hall on Great George Street behind the Catholic cathedral. Coronation Lodge, I think.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

the signs don't seem particularly masonic , no square and compass type stuff.I'm guessing it was called the ferret and firkin because it's near the old courts and the bridewell.can't do with 'irish' pubs mesen.

Si

Post by Si »

They're alright in Ireland!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

it was a masonic lodge. the lodge later moved to the one mentioned on this thread which in turn closed and was turned into an office block.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Here from the web page of the Philanthropic lodge in Leeds is the excerpt from their history regarding the building:"For Philanthropic Lodge it was to be 50 years of change and challenge.After 70 years of meeting in pubs Philanthropic Lodge had its own Masonic Hall.It was opened in 1865 and the original building is still standing at the back of Leeds Town Hall and adjoining the Victoria Hotel. When sold it eventually became a probation office and has now been fully renovated and now stands as a pub called The Irish Pub, 25 Great George Street."

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

On looking further on the Philanthropic lodge site I found on this page a further reference and a picture of the architects drawing when it was built.:http://www.philanthropic.org.uk/history ... cidentally this history has some pictures of old leeds including a very old picture of The Crown on Briggate. makes fascinating reading.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Steve Jones wrote: it was a masonic lodge. the lodge later moved to the one mentioned on this thread which in turn closed and was turned into an office block. thanks steve