The Woodpecker

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

No argument that the inner ring road ran to the Woodpecker junction long before 1993, but it wasn't until around 1993 that you could continue westbound from the a64 onto the a64m without crossing Marsh Lane at ground level. The westbound flyover is much more recent than the eastbound. The link below actually mentions that the Woodpecker was demolished to build the current slip road.http://www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/lirr/01.shtml
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

tyke bhoy wrote: No argument that the inner ring road ran to the Woodpecker junction long before 1993, but it wasn't until around 1993 that you could continue westbound from the a64 onto the a64m without crossing Marsh Lane at ground level. The westbound flyover is much more recent than the eastbound. The link below actually mentions that the Woodpecker was demolished to build the current slip road.http://www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/lirr/01.shtml You know, something I've said before, everyone here has something to bring to the discussions, memories, experiences and fact. This just goes to make the point - even though I would be travelling this route regularly, my memory is blank to this time-line!I'm putting it down to my age you know, though judging from the postings from some of our group, I'm looking forward to it actually getting better as time goes on!Going to try to sneak an hour away from weekend chores and demands to read a little further (chameleon changes colour to blend in with the background, hoping his distraction will not be noticed....)

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This does bring to mind one small matter which I recall. The final stage of the Inner Ring Road which is now under way, was brought to the fore and dropped again, usually on funding grounds a few times.Part of this was to run through the original industrial area to the south of the existing Ring Road. On at least two of these occassions, the same building and warehouse, mysteriously burnt down.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Laz wrote: zip55 wrote: The Woodpecker was a pub you went past on the 67 / 68 bus on your way in to town.     No I think you are wrong. The 67/68 went down Easterly road and down Rounday Road - past the Fforde Green and the Gaiety.The one that went from Seacroft past the Woodpecker was the Number 16. (and the 11) I used both on my way into town - happy days Must have been the 50 from the Fairway then, I sometiimes got that bus.

Laz

Post by Laz »

ahhrr - The Fairway.. a frightening pub but had some brilliant nights in there. I particularly remember going to watch Be Bop Delux in there - good band.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

yeh, the good old Fairway .. I remember they went over to plastic glasses in 1974/5 for a while. You'd look away to talk to somebody and someone else would burn a hole in the bottom of your glass with a ciggie.    

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

zip55 wrote: yeh, the good old Fairway .. I remember they went over to plastic glasses in 1974/5 for a while. You'd look away to talk to somebody and someone else would burn a hole in the bottom of your glass with a ciggie.     leave my pub alone,its the only one that the scum are not aloud in.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Pashy

Post by Pashy »

Was(is) there a pub called the Woodpecker at the end of Whitehall Rd in Farnley near Sykes's Wood?

simonm

Post by simonm »

tyke bhoy wrote: No argument that the inner ring road ran to the Woodpecker junction long before 1993, but it wasn't until around 1993 that you could continue westbound from the a64 onto the a64m without crossing Marsh Lane at ground level. The westbound flyover is much more recent than the eastbound. The link below actually mentions that the Woodpecker was demolished to build the current slip road.http://www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/lirr/01.shtml Yup, thats exactly what you had to do.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Pashy wrote: Was(is) there a pub called the Woodpecker at the end of Whitehall Rd in Farnley near Sykes's Wood? No thats the 'Woodcock', cock!!.Still there by the way.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.