The Woodpecker

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi tyke bhoy,Chapeltown is now 'Stainbeck'.http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/sect ... id=348&Ian.

Awol Wakefield

Post by Awol Wakefield »

compton wrote: How about some ancient history, my dad used to tell me he was passing the Woodpecker in 1926 during the general strike and as a tram was heard going past the clientele swarmed onto the street and began stoning it, he recalled it was absolute mayhem. It still happens on York Road. Only nowadays it's called bus bricking.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

wiggy wrote:drapesy wrote: The right hand side of the pub is visible in this 1985 photo taken from Marsh Lane. It was sometime around this time that I had my one and only pint in the 'Woodpecker'. the funeral directors in the main of the picture...is it still there? we all always asumed that they would never pull it down,because it was listed...anyone know?....i think it was roberts funeral services.    

As a kid attending Mt. St. Mary's Richmond Hill during the War years I remember the Marsh Lane area bombings but my recollection of the Woodpecker is that is was a lower building than the one shown on a photograph and that it had a clock over the door entrance. Could this have been another building ? though I seem to recall it was on the corner opp. St Patricks church.

Duh. Just looking back at the pictures of the Pub I now see that there was a clock over the door and after a visit from one of Adolf's cronies the building would have been a bit lower. Must go lie down.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

drapesy wrote:A shot from 1938 - by 1939 the pub and all thebuildings further up York Road would have been demolished.I've included this even though its a poor shot of the pub as you can just see St. Joseph's R.C. church at the left hand side - so you can fix exactly where the original pub was from that.
The buildings on the corner in front of the Church, St Patricks by the way, housed a Dentists in the 1940s to which we were sent to sometimes instead of the one at Saville Green a bit higher up York Road, just as terrifying to us kids in those days. Think they were demolished in the 1960s.