Harry Holgate Lemonade

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Croggy

Post by Croggy »

D Ross wrote: Croggy wrote: Perhaps a silly question ... but are you sure it is Leeds, Yorkshire, England ... I do not know of any Leeds in the States, so I am assuming England. There is a Leeds, Alabama, also.

Songara

Post by Songara »

Hi everyone.New to the site but can tell you that I have a stonewear/earthenware jug which has on the neck:1912HARRY HOLGATELate John HallowsBotanical BrewersProspect Works Whitehall RoadLEEDSUnderneath this it says:This bottle is the property of HARRY HOLGATE late John Hollows, and any person damaging or illegally using it will be prosecuted.PLEASE INSERT CORK WHEN EMPTY.The last request is a little strange as the bottle has a pot, threaded, twist in stopper in the top of which is written:H. HOLGATEGinger BeerLEEDS.Hope this info helps.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

FANTAtasic (geddit) Botanical Brewers! Fentinmans drinks are made by this method - and though they are now made in the north east, the company was originally from Yorkshire - Cleckheaton I believe.
Industria Omnia Vincit

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I found this picture on Leodis of 'Prospect Works, Whitehall Road' - so presumably it was here (or near here)where Holgate's botanical brewery was situated. The photo dates from 1936. At this time the works was used by the wonderfully named 'Puro Soap' company - and there is an advert for their products on the gable end(and the promise of 'free gifts'!). To the left is a petrol station. The building looks to have had a door and another window at ground level that have been bricked up at some stage.
Attachments
__TFMF_3jmvc0m3npw1wi55m1wrdw45_9f73012f-8cfe-4664-af35-25b16d6a5c70_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3jmvc0m3npw1wi55m1wrdw45_9f73012f-8cfe-4664-af35-25b16d6a5c70_0_main.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

there is decription of what botanical brewing involves here:http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nl ... rodid=2624
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I remember Alpine Pop deliveries, Scotts and Ben Shaws.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Reginal Perrin wrote: I remember Alpine Pop deliveries, Scotts and Ben Shaws. I remember Boococks, who delivered from a van door to door around the Sandford estate.Their trademark was a cockerel which had a rainbow coloured <wobbly thing on top of it's head> .
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

i remember the alpine man,scotts pops with the balloons on the label and ben shaws but does anyone recall the davenports man?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

wiggy wrote: i remember the alpine man,scotts pops with the balloons on the label and ben shaws but does anyone recall the davenports man? I remember their adverts on the telly for :"Davenports", - "Beer at Home".In a stern BBC newsreader type voice.    
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

D Ross

Post by D Ross »

Steve Jones wrote: there is decription of what botanical brewing involves here:http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nl ... rodid=2624