Sweet Shops & Newsagents

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
liits

Post by liits »

This was sparked by the Lost Chip Shops thread and an comment by Croggie. So, Croggie, here goes!Sherwoods on Crossgates Rd. I always remember that it had a few model aeroplanes but over the years, this came to be more and more of a feature, the whole thing finally evolving into “Flying Models” I seem to think that one of the ex-staff set up a newsagents cum general store in the next-door shop [formally Hargreaves the Butchers].Stevenson’s, next to the GEM.Kidd’s on Austhorpe Rd. Open on Sunday afternoons. Handy for greedy brats like me.Hyde’s at the end of Crossgates Lane, on York Rd. An outpost of Hyde’s on Church Lane. The Church Lane shop always had loads of cheap toys but a rotten selection of sweets.Grace’s on Station Rd [where Swinton Insurance was / is] They sold single cigarettes and three matches, no questions asked! I blame them for nurturing my tobacco habit during my pocket monied, pre waged, days.And now one that I can’t recall the name of. A tiny little shop on the corner of Sandbed Lane & Sandiford Terrace. Coming back from Chippies Quarry one Saturday afternoon I bought the biggest bag of rainbow crystals here, scoffed them, and was as sick as a pig by the time I got home.Marsdens. Thanks to Leodis, I now know that this is called Terminus Parade, but it was always known as Marsdens Corner [wasn’t it Croggie?] This was where my Mam got the Sunday papers after church and where I was dispatched to get the Green Final every Saturday tea time.Can anybody else taste sherbet dips and nuggit [not nougat]?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: This was sparked by the Lost Chip Shops thread and an comment by Croggie. So, Croggie, here goes!Sherwoods on Crossgates Rd. I always remember that it had a few model aeroplanes but over the years, this came to be more and more of a feature, the whole thing finally evolving into “Flying Models” I seem to think that one of the ex-staff set up a newsagents cum general store in the next-door shop [formally Hargreaves the Butchers].Stevenson’s, next to the GEM.Kidd’s on Austhorpe Rd. Open on Sunday afternoons. Handy for greedy brats like me.Hyde’s at the end of Crossgates Lane, on York Rd. An outpost of Hyde’s on Church Lane. The Church Lane shop always had loads of cheap toys but a rotten selection of sweets.Grace’s on Station Rd [where Swinton Insurance was / is] They sold single cigarettes and three matches, no questions asked! I blame them for nurturing my tobacco habit during my pocket monied, pre waged, days.And now one that I can’t recall the name of. A tiny little shop on the corner of Sandbed Lane & Sandiford Terrace. Coming back from Chippies Quarry one Saturday afternoon I bought the biggest bag of rainbow crystals here, scoffed them, and was as sick as a pig by the time I got home.Marsdens. Thanks to Leodis, I now know that this is called Terminus Parade, but it was always known as Marsdens Corner [wasn’t it Croggie?] This was where my Mam got the Sunday papers after church and where I was dispatched to get the Green Final every Saturday tea time.Can anybody else taste sherbet dips and nuggit [not nougat]? Sherwoods was the original sweets/new/tobacconists - I remember a large shelf at the end on the left, filled with every board game and puzzle you could imagine. The models side took off and if I remember rightly, the Sherwoods bought the adjacent unit and expanded into that.Terminus Parade, that's the one opposite the library isn't it? The sweet shop was on the corner, the inside of the window having shelves at the back lined with glass jars full of 'real' sweets (and crystals!), run then by a white haired gentleman by the name of Mr Holgate. Other shops there were Utleys - jewelers and watchmaker, Crockets - dry cleaners and the chemists, Mr (Barny) Freeman, there was always a weighing scale outside which he took in every night!Going back further would be a sweets & tobacconists on 'The Parade' on Austhorpe Road, the set back area past the Post Office and Surgery. This used to have a glass canopy over its entire length, some of it remains today. The shop was run by my family atthat time, probably in the name of Dobson.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

brizalaira's at the 8 shops on gipton,a real olde worlde sweet shop that was run by francisco and leonardo,know to all as frank and leo.they had a shop down the old green road,before moving to gipton,probably in the late 30s or early 40s.ciggarette,choclate and gum machines on the wall outside...wonder how long they would last nowadays!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

I was hoping you'd know the name of the corner shop on Sandbed Lane, 'cos I don't! Used to go in there on a Wednesday afternoon when my grandma met us from school, lol.Marsdens used to have a 'tree' on the counter, displaying lollies etc I seem to recall.Kidds was next to the pet shop wasn't it? and the one over the road I remember as beng run by the Gaines family.There was also one at the bottom of Church Lane.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Croggy wrote: I was hoping you'd know the name of the corner shop on Sandbed Lane, 'cos I don't! Used to go in there on a Wednesday afternoon when my grandma met us from school, lol.Marsdens used to have a 'tree' on the counter, displaying lollies etc I seem to recall.Kidds was next to the pet shop wasn't it? and the one over the road I remember as beng run by the Gaines family.There was also one at the bottom of Church Lane. i know exactly where you mean,but the name escapes me. did one of them have one of those yellow plastic sun screens in the window??? you don't see them nowadays.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

wiggy wrote: Croggy wrote: I was hoping you'd know the name of the corner shop on Sandbed Lane, 'cos I don't! Used to go in there on a Wednesday afternoon when my grandma met us from school, lol.Marsdens used to have a 'tree' on the counter, displaying lollies etc I seem to recall.Kidds was next to the pet shop wasn't it? and the one over the road I remember as beng run by the Gaines family.There was also one at the bottom of Church Lane. i know exactly where you mean,but the name escapes me. did one of them have one of those yellow plastic sun screens in the window??? you don't see them nowadays. Holgates became Marsdens - yup, yellow 'cellophane' stuff across the inside!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There were certainly three dedicated "sweet shops" in Morley. One was in a wood hut adjacent to the wood hut chippy I've already mentioned on Fountain Street - he was a Leeds Jewish fella, the next was on South Queen Street and run by a lady called Betty Martin (exactly) she had a sort of heated cabinet on the counter with loose Sunpat salted nuts in it - they were both fairly handy for the Morley Pavilion Cinema - there was another on Queen Street, next to the Picture House - I think it's a Chinese Takeaway now (what isn't in Morley these days?) There was also a proper tobacconist. They sold Rizlas, and exotic pipe tobaccos plus American cigarettes like Lucky Strike and Kent. Also matches and lighters, pipes cigars cigarette cases. A few extra strong mints - but it was almost totally dedicated to "smoker's requisites" it was called Hopkins and was at the end of the now disappeared Morley Arcade. This site certainly triggers memories - I'd forgotten all about Hopkins - and the Arcade for that matter.
Industria Omnia Vincit

liits

Post by liits »

Croggy wrote: I was hoping you'd know the name of the corner shop on Sandbed Lane, 'cos I don't! Used to go in there on a Wednesday afternoon when my grandma met us from school, lol.Marsdens used to have a 'tree' on the counter, displaying lollies etc I seem to recall.Kidds was next to the pet shop wasn't it? and the one over the road I remember as beng run by the Gaines family.There was also one at the bottom of Church Lane. I'd forgotten all about Gains'. That was where I bought my paper every morning on my way to work. I can't think how I forgot it.And, of course, there was R S McColl in the Arndale, underneath the Wimpey.Aftre I posted my original post, I was having a think about Stevenson's. If i remember rightly, as you went inside the GEM, on the left hand side was a roller-shutter type thing. I'm not sure if I remember it being a sweet counter or if I'm having an imagine [but there was definitly a roller-shutter, It backer onto the big windows at the front of the bouilding], posibly an outpost of Stevenson's. I know that they did have one inside the Regal cinema before it was pulled down. Could this have been a continuation of that?    

Si

Post by Si »

Here's a few lost sweet shops from 60's Pudsey, but I can't remember all their names. There was Blackburn's on the corner of Occupation Lane and New Occupation Lane, and another halfway down towards Waterloo Road. Jowett's on Smalewell Road. There was also a sweet shop right next door, but can't recall the name, with jars of kayli. There was another on Chapeltown parade opposite the cenotaph which had "Jubbly" ads in the window by the door. I used to get Lucky Bags and Everlasting Strips from Anne's on Waterloo Road on the way home from school. Anyone remember Spanish Gold? It was brown coconut tobacco. There were also miniature chocolate cigarettes in American facimile packets. Camel, Winstons etc. All long banned, I should think!

simonm

Post by simonm »

As a kid the best sweet shop I can remember, although the name escapes me, was the one on the junction of Armley town street and Car Crofts. I don't think it's in use today, but it's last incarnation was a pram / kiddies shop.As a kid I used to walk in there in awe. It was a newsagents, but had every model kit under the sun and sweets lining the walls, just above head hight. It must have been a nightmare to do a stock take.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"