Sweet Shops & Newsagents

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
zip55

Post by zip55 »

Hey Wiggy, where abouts on the St, Wilfreds? My grandad Joe Simpson lived on ST. Wilfreds Ave, first house on the left, as you came out of the ginnel from Easterly Rd. He moved directly across to the bottom of Easterly Mount in the sixties. He was a regular in the little tap bar at the FForde. Used to shout us some 'spice ' from his winnings at the bookies. Great memories .. he lived to 89.        

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

zip55 wrote: Hey Wiggy, where abouts on the St, Wilfreds? My grandad Joe Simpson lived on ST. Wilfreds Ave, first house on the left, as you came out of the ginnel from Easterly Rd. He moved directly across to the bottom of Easterly Mount in the sixties. He was a regular in the little tap bar at the FForde. Used to shout us some 'spice ' from his winnings at the bookies. Great memories .. he lived to 89.         on the avenue too! but further up,261 opposite the garth.my old man was a regular in the fforde in the 60s and 70s,when the queues went right up harehills lane about an hour before they opened,whereas i was a fairway lad...closer and safer,by the time i started boozin'.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

I tried both sites that liits mentioned hoping to find some sweets I used to buy, Licquorice and violet pills, but no luck.I remember that there was a sweet shop on Stanningley Road, just down from Armley Park when were streets between there and Armley Park School.There was also Gilliots on Wesley Road, although he sold tins etc aswell, he had a vast amount of sweets squeezed into a small shop. Mr Gilliot used to wear a raised boot on one foot and told kids that was where he kept the smarties. And we still used to buy them. He also used to pay me four blackjacks for pulling grass from between his flagstones. Child labour? I didn't think so, I used to pray for the grass to grow

rev

Post by rev »

liits wrote: This was sparked by the Lost Chip Shops thread and an comment by Croggie. So, Croggie, here goes!Sherwoods on Crossgates Rd. I always remember that it had a few model aeroplanes but over the years, this came to be more and more of a feature, the whole thing finally evolving into “Flying Models” I seem to think that one of the ex-staff set up a newsagents cum general store in the next-door shop [formally Hargreaves the Butchers].Stevenson’s, next to the GEM.Kidd’s on Austhorpe Rd. Open on Sunday afternoons. Handy for greedy brats like me.Hyde’s at the end of Crossgates Lane, on York Rd. An outpost of Hyde’s on Church Lane. The Church Lane shop always had loads of cheap toys but a rotten selection of sweets.Grace’s on Station Rd [where Swinton Insurance was / is] They sold single cigarettes and three matches, no questions asked! I blame them for nurturing my tobacco habit during my pocket monied, pre waged, days.And now one that I can’t recall the name of. A tiny little shop on the corner of Sandbed Lane & Sandiford Terrace. Coming back from Chippies Quarry one Saturday afternoon I bought the biggest bag of rainbow crystals here, scoffed them, and was as sick as a pig by the time I got home.Marsdens. Thanks to Leodis, I now know that this is called Terminus Parade, but it was always known as Marsdens Corner [wasn’t it Croggie?] This was where my Mam got the Sunday papers after church and where I was dispatched to get the Green Final every Saturday tea time.Can anybody else taste sherbet dips and nuggit [not nougat]? The shop at the corner of Sandbed Lane was Lister's. I went to Manston school and was a regular there for rainbow crystals!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[quotenick="rev"] liits wrote: This was sparked by the Lost The shop at the corner of Sandbed Lane was Lister's. I went to Manston school and was a regular there for rainbow crystals! Kayli!
Industria Omnia Vincit

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Hi Rev and welcome.Thanks for supplying that name!There was also a newsagents near the junction of Station Road and Green Lane,http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 8238772The shop near where Swintons is now, has been mentioned previously, was it called Moore & Grations (sp)?    

liits

Post by liits »

Kali was sold in bags [Rainbow Cryatals] sherbert was the rubbidsh in the yellow cardboard tube with the licorice "straw". I could never eat / have sherbert because I would projectile vomit at the slightest hint of licorice! I seem to remember that the taste was different too.The name of the shop near the end of Green Lane was "Russell's" and the chap running it [probalby not his real name] was Jack.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Lol @ Jack. Yep the photo link gives a clue to the name of the shop, lol

AusthorpeWhite

Post by AusthorpeWhite »

Anyone remember this corner shop?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 19132632It was on Kendal Lane near St Michael's CollegeJimmy Saville used to live a couple of streets downI lived around the corner on Victoria Terrace, just further down this street (the shop on the left is the same one as in the first picture)http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 4159182The view to the right is as in this shothttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 515_166757    

Si

Post by Si »

Overheard in an Otley pub the other day:"I was in Barber's tobacconist earlier, when I heard 'Now then, now then, erryerryerr' (Jimmy Saville noise,)""Oh yeah? Who was it then?"