Sweet Shops & Newsagents

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Si

Post by Si »

There used to be another model shop in Armley. It were near the lights, I think, and was run by a bloke with glasses and a grey 'tache. All the Airfix kits were in clear plastic bags with the instructions stapled across the top, and they were hung from hooks on the wall. I wonder if Simonm can remember it?    

simonm

Post by simonm »

Si wrote: There used to be another model shop in Armley. It were near the lights, I think, and was run by a bloke with glasses and a grey 'tache. All the Airfix kits were in clear plastic bags with the instructions stapled across the top, and they were hung from hooks on the wall. I wonder if Simonm can remember it?     Branch road lights? I vaugley remember one being opposite Mikes carpets, where the dentist is nowadays? On that row anyway. I only ever went into the one I mentioned for my models. dads choice really as I obviously had to go where he went, being just wee un.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

Aye, me an'all! I vaguely remember it being on the opposite corner to Mike's Carpets. It was probably pulled down when the road was widened/Ledgard Way was built.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Tad before my time then Si. However, I do remeber, vaugley, there being some sort of toy / model shop on the row down branch road. Can anyone else remember it? Or am I still getting over the excess libation from the weekend?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

I think there may have been one round there somewhere. If I remember right, they sold kits of old guns - flintlocks, blunderbusses, etc!

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

new road side horsforth,a small sweet shop was there called biltons.,2nd house up from victoria walk.i used to buy black jacks 1/2p, and they were bigger than they are now.,also imps,the little black sweets that burnt your tounge

liits

Post by liits »

Croggy wrote: I was hoping you'd know the name of the corner shop on Sandbed Lane, 'cos I don't! Used to go in there on a Wednesday afternoon when my grandma met us from school, lol.Marsdens used to have a 'tree' on the counter, displaying lollies etc I seem to recall.Kidds was next to the pet shop wasn't it? and the one over the road I remember as beng run by the Gaines family.There was also one at the bottom of Church Lane. Thinking about the tree on the counter with the lollies in it.... I recall seing this in several shops [Marsden's and Sherwood's, certainly]. I seem to remember that this was a piece of real branch, none of your plastic rubbish, with holes drilled in it to hold the lollies. Having had a hunt around on the internet, I have discovered that these lollies were made by a company called Swizzlers and not Trebor, as I had always thought, and that they are called "Double Lollies" and are still in production. The two sites that I found to be the best for what I, and I'm sure lots of other people, believed to be long extinct sweets are;http://www.bagofsweets.com/andhttp://ww ... x.htmlHave a look, you'll be suprised!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: Here's a few lost sweet shops from 60's Pudsey, but I can't remember all their names. There was Blackburn's on the corner of Occupation Lane and New Occupation Lane, and another halfway down towards Waterloo Road. Jowett's on Smalewell Road. There was also a sweet shop right next door, but can't recall the name, with jars of kayli. There was another on Chapeltown parade opposite the cenotaph which had "Jubbly" ads in the window by the door. I used to get Lucky Bags and Everlasting Strips from Anne's on Waterloo Road on the way home from school. Anyone remember Spanish Gold? It was brown coconut tobacco. There were also miniature chocolate cigarettes in American facimile packets. Camel, Winstons etc. All long banned, I should think! I attended Pudsey Tech in the sixties, and used to buy illiicit cigarettes from a shop opposite the grammar school on Richardshaw Lane, I can't remember though whether it was a sweet shop, a newsagents or an off licence.
Industria Omnia Vincit

stevief

Post by stevief »

Trojan wrote: Si wrote: Here's a few lost sweet shops from 60's Pudsey, but I can't remember all their names. There was Blackburn's on the corner of Occupation Lane and New Occupation Lane, and another halfway down towards Waterloo Road. Jowett's on Smalewell Road. There was also a sweet shop right next door, but can't recall the name, with jars of kayli. There was another on Chapeltown parade opposite the cenotaph which had "Jubbly" ads in the window by the door. I used to get Lucky Bags and Everlasting Strips from Anne's on Waterloo Road on the way home from school. Anyone remember Spanish Gold? It was brown coconut tobacco. There were also miniature chocolate cigarettes in American facimile packets. Camel, Winstons etc. All long banned, I should think! I attended Pudsey Tech in the sixties, and used to buy illiicit cigarettes from a shop opposite the grammar school on Richardshaw Lane, I can't remember though whether it was a sweet shop, a newsagents or an off licence. I went to Pudsey tech in the early '70s(we were all transferred to Airedale and Wharfedale in Horsforth when it opened) and I remember that shop.I bought my very first can of beer there-Long Life-it should have been enough to put me off for the rest of my days!

stevief

Post by stevief »

I 'borrowed' this pic from the 'Signs and Symbols'thread.The building on the right on Bankfield Road was a sweets and tobacconists run by an elderly lady who never really fathomed 'new pence'.She had a large conversion chart on the wall and would convert any item bought back into 'old money',work out the change and re-convert into 'new pence'.A simple transaction like buying a Mars bar could take 10 minutes.She was a casualty of decimalisation...    
Attachments
__TFMF_ysh3qw45dt02yw55qry42sat_b9d3ba6d-16b7-4d76-9d1d-30edd4432127_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ysh3qw45dt02yw55qry42sat_b9d3ba6d-16b7-4d76-9d1d-30edd4432127_0_main.jpg (41.06 KiB) Viewed 2427 times