lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

i got this idea from someones flippant remark on the lost pubs thread and thought why not! i shall begin this thread with:J T BISHOP,the eight shops,gipton,it was later taken over by his daughter audrey and her husband alan,audrey was a real charachter,the best chips ever,but the fish were a bit small.it was always open late too,and the queue was always down the road.the fish cakes were real yorkshire ones,not like the breaded rubbish you get down this way.saturday lunch i was sent for twice and fish cake and chips 3 times and a bottle of scotts pop,plus five buns from rigg's the bakers next door...all gone now.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Si

Post by Si »

You can't beat a proper fish cake. The cakes were breaded when I lived in Gateshead and then battered! The chippies there also did black pudding...in batter...but with the plastic still on underneath!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

[quotenick="Si"]You can't beat a proper fish cake. The cakes were breaded when I lived in Gateshead and then battered! The chippies there also did black pudding...in batter...but with the plastic still on underneath! [/quo sacrilege sir...SACRILEGE!

Si

Post by Si »

[quotenick="wiggy"] Si wrote: You can't beat a proper fish cake. The cakes were breaded when I lived in Gateshead and then battered! The chippies there also did black pudding...in batter...but with the plastic still on underneath! [/quo sacrilege sir...SACRILEGE! You're dead right. The first time I bit into one, byestanders were squirted with red-hot congealed blood. Not a pretty sight.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

[quotenick="Si"] wiggy wrote: Si wrote: You can't beat a proper fish cake. The cakes were breaded when I lived in Gateshead and then battered! The chippies there also did black pudding...in batter...but with the plastic still on underneath! [/quo sacrilege sir...SACRILEGE! You're dead right. The first time I bit into one, byestanders were squirted with red-hot congealed blood. Not a pretty sight. sounds like the car park of the courtier hotel in the 70s!

Si

Post by Si »

Nice.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

old captain cook's at coldcoates circus now thats what you called fish!!!!!!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Brandy wrote: old captain cook's at coldcoates circus now thats what you called fish!!!!!! i loved captain cooks..later to become the lotus house...think it still is..    

stevief

Post by stevief »

When I moved into my present occupancy we had a F&C shop at both ends of the street.The top one,Bankfield fisheries,was a good chippy but has now sadly been converted into a house.The bottom one is still there but it's a bit more up-market now,it was a lot better previously as "Sweaty Irmas".

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I suppose the major lost chippy in recent years in the centre of Leeds is Nash's on Merrion Street, which had a a take away and a Tudor restautant. There was another fish and chip restaurant in central Leeds, called Youngmans, it was up a ginnel/snicket (?) near the Odeon just off Upper Briggate.Yorkshire fish and chips take some beating, especially those from the Leeds/Bradford area, but there are far fewer now than there used to be. There's still some good ones left. But fish and chips is fast becoming a luxury meal. How long the traditional Yorkshire chippy can last in anyone's guess.
Industria Omnia Vincit