lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leeds-lad wrote: peterg wrote: This thread seems to have gone quiet. My first solid memories of a fishshop date from 1939 when we went to live in Crossgates and a Mr Shaw opened one in the row of shops at the end of Penda's Grove. Fish and chips 6d, fishcakes (two slices of spud, fish in the middle and batter on the outside) 3d. Later on, a long wait at mid-day while he prepared massive orders for Roe's and Barnbow during the war years. Open six days a week. Only one evening closed, if I remember rightly.Can't get the fish 'n chips I would like here. We use olive oil and, since at home we haven'g got a deep frier, done in a frying pan. People don't quite understand why I lace the fish and chips with vinegar, salt and pepper, but that's the way we did it back in Leeds. I miss 'em. I am pretty sure you can get some Lard or Dripping from a Supermercado,as for a chip pan,well,any old pan thats sturdy(possibly 2 handles) will do for chips and fish.We use an oldCasserole pot.The problem over there might be getting the fat hot,there gas doesn't seem to get hot like ours does. We had haddock and chips fried by a Yorkshireman (not sure whether it was oil or dripping though) in a chippy in Alcudia in October, and they were reasonable.
Industria Omnia Vincit

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

On Wooler Avenue bottom of Cross Flatts Place there was a chippy that the kids called soggy Atkinsons, the chips were soggy but the fish was okay, so it was fish from them and on to Beeston road for chips. Here in South Africa we have slaap chips, thick chips but soft not crispy.
Ex Leeds Lass

kango

Post by kango »

FLOJO wrote: On Wooler Avenue bottom of Cross Flatts Place there was a chippy that the kids called soggy Atkinsons, the chips were soggy but the fish was okay, so it was fish from them and on to Beeston road for chips. Here in South Africa we have slaap chips, thick chips but soft not crispy. Now a Chinese take away.    

Bert

Post by Bert »

FLOJO wrote: On Wooler Avenue bottom of Cross Flatts Place there was a chippy that the kids called soggy Atkinsons, the chips were soggy but the fish was okay, so it was fish from them and on to Beeston road for chips. Here in South Africa we have slaap chips, thick chips but soft not crispy. Fish and Chip shops seem to attract this kind of nickname. This one on the corner at number 1 Cross Parkfield Street in Hunslet was known to us local kids in the 1940s as Smelly Emma's:             

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

And the one just opposite the engineering dept of the university was Sweaty Betty's. Thae was a real chip shop, Dripping and really crisp tasty fish    

zip55

Post by zip55 »

I remember one in Spring Grove Mount, Thwaite Gate, when I was a kid (late 50's). Anyone else remember this chippy?

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Can't beat proper beef dripping as was supplied by Craven Calverts on Crow Nest Lane,Beeston.......you knew where it was a mile off.Barrie's fish shop on Barkly Parade,Beeston brings back memories for me(it's still a fish shop under different ownership)...He used to cater for all the late brigade from the pub and would always greet you with a very high pitched,nervy "Alright lads",probably in fear for his life seeing 90% of the late night clientele was tanked up.Never saw any real trouble though....he made sure you got decent portions,quickly ! He did command a lot of respect oddly enough and was a likeable chap.I believe he moved to take over the well known Peggotty's in Rothwell,where he may well still be ?
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Our geography teacher told us that the geography of Morley consisted of "'ills, mills, and fish 'oils" and he was fairly accurate. Not the case today although there are still one or two. The one from the past that sticks in my mind was "Fountain Fisheries" which was one of a parade of wood huts at the bottom of Fountain Street - where the pub car park now stands. Despite being in a wood hut the frying range was fired by coal. Needless to say the fire brigade were fairly regular visitors. I'd say the Fountain chippy was their second biggest client after the Morley Top railway embankment.

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Our chip shop was on Armley Road at the end of I think Whitby Street. Think they called the guy Barry. He made great fish and chips with beef dripping. No vegetarians in those days. 1956ish.I remember he was killed down Holbeck in his Jaguar E Type. I don't know if anyone remembershim or the name of his shop? I know one of his sons went to Armley Park School called Keith.End of my brain cells after that lol. Never blonde but my excuse now is Senior Moments.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

After a session in the Nags, we'd pootle across the road to Hamblens at Chapel Allerton.Now, sadly the Silver Vase. We never bothered with Nashes.