Lost Meanwood Pub

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LS13

Post by LS13 »

Apparently there was once a pub on Parkside Rd/Dunny Hill, at the bend in the road where theres a small spring, just across from where the row of cottages is.It appears in Directorys between 1804 and 1839 as the Woodcock, occupied by John Marshall and from 1849 to 1853 occupied by Martha Marshall. At some point it was also called the Woodpecker and the Well House Inn (the spring was used as a bath house in the 1700's).By 1861 , the licensee Hannah Dunbar changed the pub to an off licence, but according to Arthur Hopwoods book on Meanwood ' the change had little effect as the regulars borrowed pint pots from nearby cottages and, winter and summer alike, drank their ale in a corner of the field and boasted that their tap room had the highest ceiling of any in the country!' (a bit like today with the smoking ban!)Apparently, this pub was only demolished in the 1930s--does anyone have a photo or more info on it?

rikj

Post by rikj »

There are some photos in "Meanwood in Pictures" compiled by Peter Bewell. Will try and put them up later. Was the house also known as "The Grove"Bit difficult to relate the photos to how it is now.

Dunbar

Re: Lost Meanwood Pub

Post by Dunbar »

Hannah was my second great grandmother. They moved to the Bay Horse in Meanwood and mined the quarry behind.
Hannah was prosecuted for allowing unruly conduct outside the Well House Inn. My Grandad Isaac Alfred Dunbar ran the Bay Horse and my Grandma was born there.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to the site Dunbar i wish i could go that far back with my.family.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leeds Mercury June 3rd 1880. Hannah was fined 5 Shillings :o
Attachments
Hannah Dunbar.jpeg
Hannah Dunbar.jpeg (200.42 KiB) Viewed 6361 times

CLKEJJ

Post by CLKEJJ »

Hannah was also my second great grandmother.
My Great Grandad, Isaac Alfred Dunbar ran the Bay Horse Pub and when he retired moved to Blackpool and lived with my Grandparents.
I have a notification of his death in St Paul's Church magazine
I also have portraits of Isaac and Sarah which I assume hung in the pub.

Chappers

Re:

Post by Chappers »

LS13 wrote:Apparently there was once a pub on Parkside Rd/Dunny Hill, at the bend in the road where theres a small spring, just across from where the row of cottages is.It appears in Directorys between 1804 and 1839 as the Woodcock, occupied by John Marshall and from 1849 to 1853 occupied by Martha Marshall. At some point it was also called the Woodpecker and the Well House Inn (the spring was used as a bath house in the 1700's).By 1861 , the licensee Hannah Dunbar changed the pub to an off licence, but according to Arthur Hopwoods book on Meanwood ' the change had little effect as the regulars borrowed pint pots from nearby cottages and, winter and summer alike, drank their ale in a corner of the field and boasted that their tap room had the highest ceiling of any in the country!' (a bit like today with the smoking ban!)Apparently, this pub was only demolished in the 1930s--does anyone have a photo or more info on it?
From "I'm from Meanwood" on Facebook. Lots of nice photos of Meanwood on here, and don't have to be signed in.
Attachments
Well House Inn 2.jpg
Well House Inn 2.jpg (235.32 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
Well House Inn 1.jpg
Well House Inn 1.jpg (193.29 KiB) Viewed 5818 times

CLKEJJ

Post by CLKEJJ »

Hannah was my second great grandmother.
She was married to George Dunbar and Isaac Alfred Dunbar, her son took on tenancy of the pub.