Florence Nightingale

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
harrym1byt

Florence Nightingale

Post by harrym1byt »

I have just spent a few days in St Jimmies and looking out of the ward's windows, I notice the name of the Florence Nightingale pub has had a name change. I couldn't actually see the new name, but none of the other patients seemed to remember it being called the Florence Nightingale.

buffaloskinner

Re: Florence Nightingale

Post by buffaloskinner »

Well I hope you didn't see the Florence Nightingale as it was demolished 10 years ago after a gas explosion, the one left standing is the Fountain Head.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

That explains it, thanks - I guess it wasn't far from the Fountain Head then?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I think it was called "The Cemetery Tavern" untill some folks complained about that name being opposite the Hospital
I used to drink a lovely pint of Tetlleys in the "Fountain" but never ever ! went in the "Cemetery" as it was either a John or Sam Smiths Brew.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="harrym1byt"]That explains it, thanks - I guess it wasn't far from the Fountain Head then?

From memory it was only a few hundred yards.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

The former site of the Florence Nightingale is the “middle car park” of the three car parks uphill from the Fountain Head. The car parks appear to be all one, split into three sections, but they are not; the two outer sections belong to Leeds City Council and tickets are interchangeable, however the apparent centre section (where the pub used to stand) is a different car park run by an independent parking company. Using a ticket from the Council machines in this section will lead to a “fine” being levied on the hapless motorist, and vice versa of course. Beware if you are visiting St James, especially in an emergency when you may not be concentrating on parking. Also worth noting is that the pay and display spaces on adjacent Shakespeare Street are free after 6pm and all day on Sunday. My dad gets taken into Jimmy’s on a regular basis.
The older I get, the better I was.