The Cardigan Arms pub on Kirkstall Road.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

The Cardigan Arms pub on Kirkstall Road.

Post by Leodian »

These are 3 photos that I took on January 31 2018 of The Cardigan Arms, a Tetley Heritage Inn on Kirkstall Road. The Cardigan Arms, unlike the nearby 'derelict' The Rising Sun pub, has survived and is presumably doing OK. I like the old Joshua Tetley logo.
TheCardiganArmsKirkstallRoadLeedsJan312018(1)..jpg
TheCardiganArmsKirkstallRoadLeedsJan312018(1)..jpg (129.94 KiB) Viewed 11111 times
TheCardiganArmsKirkstallRoadLeedsJan312018(2)..jpg
TheCardiganArmsKirkstallRoadLeedsJan312018(2)..jpg (135.1 KiB) Viewed 11111 times
TheCardiganArmsKirkstallRoadLeedsJan312018(3)..jpg
TheCardiganArmsKirkstallRoadLeedsJan312018(3)..jpg (128.6 KiB) Viewed 11111 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: The Cardigan Arms pub on Kirkstall Road.

Post by volvojack »

I seem to remember a long time ago going into one of these Pubs and being told that the Landlady was a regular on "Coronation Street"
Or it could have been another Pub on the same side of Kirkstall Road.

jim

Post by jim »

It was the "Cardigan" Jack.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jim"It was the "Cardigan" Jack.

Thanks jim, Who was the Landlady I had thought it was Lynne Perry (Stage name) who went on to appear in the T.V. Soap "Coronation Street". In the 1960s when a TV. Series began like this they needed Actors and extra's with mainly working class Northern accents, Plus an Equity card was essential. Singers and Comedians working the Social Clubs fitted in very Nicely .
As the Popularity of the Show began to grow and there were more episodes i think most of these realised that appearing on the "Tele" was much more Lucrative .

jim

Post by jim »

No idea what role she played Jack, only that she was "in Coronation Street". Probably a regular extra, a speaking part would infer a full time professional actress.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jim"]No idea what role she played Jack, only that she was "in Coronation Street". Probably a regular extra, a speaking part would infer a full time professional actress.

Thanks jim.

Reading up Google about Lynne Perrie it seems that she was working in Club and Cabaret around Yorkshire from a very early age. So not very lik to have been her.
I do recall that this lady was working behind the Bar but as it was 60 years ago or so maybe I have got A. Got The Pub Wrong , B. The Landlady's Name Wrong .

Pretty Sure there was another Tetleys pub quite near on the same side. Not quite as grand as these two but
after Nurse has been round and given me my Sedatives and locked the Door i will have another think.

More likely "The Morning Star " which although served a good Pint I don't imagine the were many T.V. Stars frequented it.

rikj

Post by rikj »

The landlady was Joyce Ives, who had many roles in her acting career, as well as running the Cardigan Arms with her husband. Read all about it here:

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-2279698

The pub was recently sold by the owners Greene King to Kirkstall Brewery. A bid to run the pub as a community venture was not accepted.

I think the industrial looking buildings at the back of the pub were once a small brewery, keep meaning to take some photos of them.

Edd the Brew

Post by Edd the Brew »

Hi All,
The buildings at the rear of the Cardigan Arms were indeed a Brewery, there are a few old (lamentably empty! ) bottles knocking around,
Cheers
Edd the Brew