Grove Inn, Holbeck.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Grove Inn, Holbeck.

Post by Leodian »

Though I am occasionally recently in the Bridgewater Place area I have gone no further than its Victoria Road frontage and Water Lane side so I decided to go a bit further which I did on November 14 2017. Going on Victoria Road shortly after passing Bridgewater Place I was quite surprised to see an old looking pub that I was not aware of, namely the Grove Inn. A side wall of the pub is seen from Victoria Road but the pub's main entry/exit is on Back Row with a lesser entry/exit on the Stone Row side road off Back Row.

I don't know how long the pub has been there as it is not labelled on an 1921 1:2,500 map I've seen but it could be that it is not labelled due to the map scale. I've found an image in the Leodis website that has Grove Inn on a photo taken on 12 September 1938. It is good but surprising that an old pub still survives in such a massively developed area. It is rather though dwarfed by such as the very near Bridgewater Place. I wonder if anyone has any old recollections of the Grove Inn, Holbeck?

I have added 3 photos that I took on November 14 2017. The first shows a view of Grove Inn on Stone Row with the towering Bridgewater Place in the rear. The second is a view of the Back Row frontage of Grove Inn with Stone Row just off on the left. The third shows a view of the side wall of the inn taken from Victoria Road.
GroveInnStoneRowHolbeckLeedsBridegwaterPlaceInRearNov142017..jpg
GroveInnStoneRowHolbeckLeedsBridegwaterPlaceInRearNov142017..jpg (120.15 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
GroveInnOnBackRowWithStoneRowOffOnLeftHolbeckLeedsNov142017..jpg
GroveInnOnBackRowWithStoneRowOffOnLeftHolbeckLeedsNov142017..jpg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
GroveInnFromVictoriaRoadBackRowOnLeftHolbeckLeedsNov142017..jpg
GroveInnFromVictoriaRoadBackRowOnLeftHolbeckLeedsNov142017..jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Re: Grove Inn, Holbeck.

Post by uncle mick »

It is in the 1872 directory as a beerhouse which aren't marked on maps. Only Public Houses are marked.

EDIT : On reading this it was there in 1844 http://tinyurl.com/ycwbb5bl

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Years ago when the Licensing laws meant pubs closing at 3pm. there were odd times when we would spend a couples of hours behind locked doors in the Grove. My cousin Mac had a Scaffolding business and at Christmas time he would arrange for free food and drink for about 20 or so of his workers (hooligans) and the Grove was the perfect place to hold it.
It has been a Music venue for many years, mainly Country and Western / Folk but there has been all kinds of live music played there. It is a strange little Pub as it has rooms leading off of the main bar. It is many, many years since i have been in there.

Looking at Leodians photographs it is hard for me to believe, as this pub was unique in respect of that it was near the City Centre and yet stood almost on it's own.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks uncle mick and Jack for your help :).

It's interesting to find out that there has been a drinking place at that location since at least 1844.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi lads
the grove inn is a very good real ale pub,always has a large choice of ales.
regards
sm1