Road to Blackpool

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Bracken

Road to Blackpool

Post by Bracken »

Hello, Does anyone remember the half way stop by coach on the way to Blackpool before the M62 opened.I think it was called the Coronation on the A59 road out of Skipton but there is no trace of it now.

iansmithofotley

Re: Road to Blackpool

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Bracken,

It was just east of Gisburn at Horton in Craven. If you check on the Old Maps website, it is shown on the 1971/72 map near to Monk Bridge and Horton Bridge on the A59. I don't know if this link will work but here it is:

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/382566 ... /12/100954

You might have to zoom in and out a bit, and drag the map from side to side, but the Coronation is shown on the map.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

When going with my family to Blackpool by Coach (Charrer ) there was always a stop at the Coronation cafe. If i remember correctly it was on the right hand side of the road. After a long wait in Leeds to get aboard and the long winding road through Otley, Ilkley etc. everyone aboard was ready for a cup of tea or the loo. As i recall it was a bit of a ramshackle place set back off of the road but just about all traffic stopped by there.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Bracken :).

This old Secret Leeds thread has some related information posts:- http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1900
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

As kids on the Coach to Blackpool in the late 1940s as soon as we were back on the Road from that Cafe we used to look out for the first sighting of the Tower even though it was still about 40 miles away. Every sighting of an Electric Pylon was greeted with an Ooh. until the Proper thing came into view, The road into the 'Pool used to seem to run nearly under the Tower and the Buses parked in Rigby Road. Even though we were self catering in Food Rationing times and the Boarding House was very basic, to me and my Brother it was like Paradise.

Bracken

Post by Bracken »

Hello Ian, Found it on the Old Maps.Many thanks for your response. Best regards

barnie

Post by barnie »

Could the Coronation café be what is now known as Horton Lodge? You can find online a couple of old rightmove adverts for properties in the complex and they mention 'conversion residences' and 'former hotel buildings'. Horton lodge on a current map pretty much matches the outline of the buildings on the 1971/72 map.

barnie

Post by barnie »

Just to add to the above, you will get the rightmove links if you google 'Horton lodge Horton in craven'.

barnie

Post by barnie »

All good things some in threes - conformation Horton Lodge is indeed the old coronation can be found in a planning appeal of one of the houses from 2013 which states: 'The site comprises one of 7 dwellings
which were converted from a former public house The Coronation in the late
1990’s now known as Horton Lodge.'

barnie

Post by barnie »

Confirmation not conformation. Time for me to pipe down I think.