The Regent, Kirkgate, Leeds.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

The Regent, Kirkgate, Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

The outside at least of The Regent, on Kirkgate, Leeds, has very recently been repainted. This is a photo I took on August 22 2017.

I've never been in The Regent so I wonder what the 'Beer terrace at rear' is as I had thought there would be no open area in the block of buildings at the site?
TheRegentKirkgateLeedsAug222017..jpg
TheRegentKirkgateLeedsAug222017..jpg (123.84 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Re: The Regent, Kirkgate, Leeds.

Post by uncle mick »

Why didn't you bob in & have a look ? It seems a decent size
Regent Yard.png
Regent Yard.png (16.71 KiB) Viewed 5883 times

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Years ago i spent many happy hours in this Pub, going in through the front doorit was not a very large room, the bar was up a couple of steps but you were served by a Waiter and don't think you could order and be served there.
As for a rear Terrace i don't remember one at all.There was a passage which led up to the toilets and on a Saturday Lunchtime this passage was packed with drinkers which i think was the overspill from another small room on the left side.
On the picture i see there is an entrance but that possibly leads to upstairs which i would think is for the Staff.
It certainly looks a lot smarter outside than years ago when it was just a small cog in the giant Tetley Beer / Pub machine. In all the years i went in there i never once wa served a bad pint.
Next time i am in Leeds i will certainly give it a visit.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The beer terrace is a recent addition Jack

https://theregentleeds.co.uk/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks for that Uncle Mick.
Wow,
Just looking at their pictures i would not know it was the same Pub, "Sky, Karaoke, a long Bar" it is amazing, I will certainly give it a call.
Must admit it is probably about 40 to 50 years since my Brother used to wait about 6.15 pm. in the doorway and waylay my pal and i walking up from work to get the bus at the Corn exchange. The combination of the creamy Tetley's Mild and the "Crack" that went on in the front room,a mixture of Market and Jim Windsors clerks was irresistable.plus the Townie oddballs that came in now and then.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks uncle mick and Jack for your inputs. :)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jma

Post by jma »

volvojack

I don't think you ever get a bad pint in a pub that's always busy. That could be because they sell the stuff so quickly they don't have time to spoil it, or because bad beer drives customers away or, indeed, a combination of both of those. And on the subject of times changing, "crack" means something completely different to a younger generation. ;-)

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Tha hardest thing for me to imagine the Regent as is is now is because it always was a quite small Pub. on entering there was a table on each sidee in the window recess and seating for appox. a dozen folks on each side then seating for maybe six to eight opposite the entrance. The rest of the place / passage etc. was on a slight slope so i guess the alterations have been to level the whole floors.
In the early '60s the Licencee was Tinker ( Don't know if that was a nickname,) he was very rarely seen.
As City Centre Pubs go there was never any trouble in there, drunks or rowdy folks were just not allowed, same as in The Whip and The Viaduct in Lower Briggate. they were just "Ale Houses"
There were various Characters used to come in there early evening. One i remember was an old lad , only known as "Blossom", he would shuffle in selling shoelaces or similar, one thing he sold was "Bluebird" razor blades which accounted for a few unwary to carry scars for some time after use. they would have been o.k. for trimming Privet hedges, we usually gave a shilling or so and refused what he was selling, Nice old chap really.
Happy Days.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]volvojack

I don't think you ever get a bad pint in a pub that's always busy. That could be because they sell the stuff so quickly they don't have time to spoil it, or because bad beer drives customers away or, indeed, a combination of both of those. And on the subject of times changing, "crack" means something completely different to a younger generation.

Good Morning jma,
I fully agree about the quality of beer keeping the customer, plus in those days there where so many Pubs all vying for trade. As for "Getting High" we poured it down our throats whereas the kids these days shove it up their noses

tilly

Post by tilly »

When you think about it Jack pouring a pint of beer up your nose would have taken some doing. He He. :lol: :lol:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.