Old Ball, Horsforth

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
simone

Old Ball, Horsforth

Post by simone »

Can anyone remember when the Old Ball in Horsforth acquired the current conservatory extension/frontage - sometime in the early 90's perhaps?

The original Old Ball was demolished & rebuilt around 1970, but this 'new' building I remember had an extra front entrance near where the toilets are, and this was sealed over when the conservatory front extension was added - just trying to date exactly when this was.

Thanks.

warringtonrhino

Re: Old Ball, Horsforth

Post by warringtonrhino »

3 canopies were done in March 1982, the front and rear single storey extensions were done in March 2001 and the detached shelters were done in May 2007.
I trust you can work out which is which.

simone

Post by simone »

Wow - warringtonrhino, thanks for your very fast and comprehensive(!) answer.

I think what I'm referring to as the 'conservatory frontage' is your front single story extension. Please would you elaborate on what the '3 canopies' are/were?
The date I'm really trying to find - in order to more accurately date an anecdote that happened there - is the date on which the second front door (nearest Brownberrie Lane) was sealed up. I'm sure I used that door in the mid/late 80's, but that it had gone by around 91. Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The side extension, the one that is actually on Brownberrie Lane, not facing the roundabout, was built 1988-9.
I am not sure if it resulted in the loss of a door.
The canopies were above front windows and were redundant when the front was extended in 2001.
I think the detached shelters relate to the car park payment machine?
Once upon a time, I could see the Old Ball from my office window, but never went inside, the Black Bull was our lunch time favorite.

simone

Post by simone »

warringtonrhino wrote:The side extension, the one that is actually on Brownberrie Lane, not facing the roundabout, was built 1988-9.
I am not sure if it resulted in the loss of a door.
Yes - I think 88/89 would fit with my time frame.

Here's how it looked in the mid-70's with that extra door I'm talking about:-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater