Name of pub in Merrion Centre

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Normalhours

Name of pub in Merrion Centre

Post by Normalhours »

Hi all

I am racking my brains trying to remember the name of the pub in the Merrion Centre (I've read the previous posts and the names suggested don't ring a bell plus they seem to be at the Morrisons/old market end).

It was where the new Jumbo records is now (past the works shop) from the early 80s to early 90s. I remember it having a kind of large bay window with small panes of glass at the front.

I also remember the Emmet Machine "man on the bike in the large class casing" being outside when it was positioned down that end of the Merrion Centre.

For some reason I have Woosters or Woodcock in my head (Not Wayfinder as I think that was at the opposite end).

Hope you can help.

Thanks

tyke bhoy

Re: Name of pub in Merrion Centre

Post by tyke bhoy »

Jug and Bottle?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

This http://www.network54.com/Forum/283664/t ... in+head+in+) suggests if you are thinking of Woosters then it was the Wayfinder before and the Jug and Bottle after. The Jug and Bottle was on the corner of Wade Lane and Merrion Street down the ramp of the Wade Lane entrance. There is an incidental 2005 picture of it on Leodis where the main subject is the Cube (St John's Centre)

edit to format link
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The Jug & Bottle
Jug & Bottle Merrion Centre.jpg
Jug & Bottle Merrion Centre.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 20507 times

Normalhours

Post by Normalhours »

Wow that's it thanks.....but I think I remember it as Woosters as Tyke bhoys post. Thanks so mich has been doing my head in !!

kenholway

Post by kenholway »

There was the general Wade in Wade Lane, a hexagonal pavilion. Was just outside the first BBC radio leeds studios so full of BBC types. Think it was part of the merrion hotel

discoduck

Post by discoduck »

What about the Phonographique. Wasn't that the cellar bar in the Merrion Centre.
Just remember it was very dark and goth back in the 80's.
Remember Crazy horses by the Osmonds came on. Place erupted.
Long time ago, so could be mistaken

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

discoduck wrote:What about the Phonographique. Wasn't that the cellar bar in the Merrion Centre.
Have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?t=112

itszico

Post by itszico »

Pubs in the Merrion Centre were Pig & Whistle (opposite the former Cobourg on Clay Pit Lane), the Highland (in the mock-Georgian mall behind Morrisons) and the Wayfinder down at the Merrion Street end. These three were all Camerons Ales.
General Wade was a detached octagonal building (with a bridge link I think)on Wade Lane.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

uncle mick wrote:
discoduck wrote:What about the Phonographique. Wasn't that the cellar bar in the Merrion Centre.
Have a look at this thread http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=112
I remember the Phonograph pub in the 1970's. It played rock music then, we used to go on Saturdays after the Peel pub closed. I remember they served chicken & chips in a basket & your feet always used to stick to the floor with the spilt beer & whatever else was on the floor lol.