No more music from this pub piano.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

No more music from this pub piano.

Post by Leodian »

I took these photos on March 28 2017 when I saw the forlorn remains of this piano at the Duck & Drake pub, Kirkgate. Sadly the piano has clearly seen better days. I don't know the Duck & Drake but I assume the piano was once played in the pub but it (the piano ;)) fell into disrepair sometime back (possibly years?). The first photo shows the piano and tables. The second is a zoomed-in view of the piano (the presence of the pink wellington boots also made me :) ).
Duck&DrakeYardKirkgateLeedsMarch282017.jpg
Duck&DrakeYardKirkgateLeedsMarch282017.jpg (143.3 KiB) Viewed 4711 times
PianoDuck&DrakeYardKirkgateLeedsMarch282017..jpg
PianoDuck&DrakeYardKirkgateLeedsMarch282017..jpg (141.49 KiB) Viewed 4711 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: No more music from this pub piano.

Post by volvojack »

Hello Leodian,
Possibly this old "Johanna" is the one that was there from the old days when the pub was the Broughams Arms and a piano was pounded every lunch time seven days and there were singers (usually Market employees) who by midday had done a days work so were ready for a few pints and a bit of relaxation.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In regard to pub pianos I have just come across a 'Piano playing in Kirkgate pubs' thread started by John Ramsden on December 19 2015 http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5937. The thread has a mention of the Duck & Drake/Broughams Arms/The Brooms pub.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

John Ramsden

Post by John Ramsden »

I went to The Duck and Drake last night. They have a new piano now. I played a couple of tunes on it? It is OK
John Ramsden
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 4315 times