The Nag's Head pubs that were in the centre of Leeds.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

The Nag's Head pubs that were in the centre of Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

That there used to be very many pubs within a small area in the centre of Leeds must have had mentions on Secret Leeds. Having a look at an 1891 map in the Old Maps UK website the name Nag's Head is very common as there were 3! There was a 'Nag's Head' about where what is now The Headrow and opposite Lands Lane. There was the 'Nag's Head' that was still there on Vicar Lane until just a few years back. There was an 'Old Nag's Head' on Kirkgate nearly opposite what is now Leeds Minster (there was even an Old Nag's Head Yard). It must have been interesting if you were to meet at a Nag's Head :).

A pub crawl must have taken days then ;).

PS. On the 1891 map there is the intriguingly named 'Old Parrot Hotel' where Call Lane joined The Calls.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Ossey911

Re: The Nag's Head pubs that were in the centre of Leeds.

Post by Ossey911 »

I had this problem before mobile phones were common, meeting friends at the Hogshead, only to discover after half an hour that there was another in town. Would you say there are more pubs in the centre now than in 1891? There are dozens at the moment. Looks like the Parrot had gone by 1921.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Ossey911 wrote:I had this problem before mobile phones were common, meeting friends at the Hogshead, only to discover after half an hour that there was another in town. Would you say there are more pubs in the centre now than in 1891? There are dozens at the moment. Looks like the Parrot had gone by 1921.
It’s off topic but I know some will find it amusing
Several years ago the Harrogate and Leeds offices took it in turn to arrange the annual walk.
The Harrogate office suggested starting from Hebden, and when the time arrived the Sheffield staff were nowhere to be seen. We found out that they had gone to Hebden Bridge, so I suggested a half way meet up at Stockbridge, where we could walk along the canal. When the Harrogate team arrived at Stockbridge, we were dismayed to find that the Sheffield team had gone to Stocksbridge near Sheffield, a location they were more familiar with.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Ossey911 wrote:I had this problem before mobile phones were common, meeting friends at the Hogshead, only to discover after half an hour that there was another in town. Would you say there are more pubs in the centre now than in 1891? There are dozens at the moment. Looks like the Parrot had gone by 1921.
Hi Ossey911 :).

From maps there were many more pubs in 1891 in the centre of Leeds than now. As I don't use them I can only say even within the last 10 years or so there seems to be fewer pubs but more bars. It does seem though that some bars (like restaurants) don't last that long presumably because there are just too many of them, though new ones do keep ever opening up!

PS. Your post warringtonrhino amused me ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

There are definitely a lot less pubs in Leeds than when I lived in the town in the 1970s (as everywhere else also), and looking at directories and maps (which usually do not show pubs which were beerhouses and could not sell spirits). there are certainly a lot of bars, though some are really restaurants which have a small area where you can just go and drink. These also usually are aimed more at the spirit and wine drinker. Of course pubs originated largely when the powers that be were trying to reduce drunkenness from "gin-palaces", which could perhaps be considered as a type of bar. Unfortunately I think it unlikely that the government would do anything to reduce the effect of the present gin palaces/bars , and encourage pleasant old style pubs

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leeds Beer Houses 1872 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjEZgJT9

Leeds Hotels Inns & Taverns 1872 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjEZhecW

6 Nag's Head in both categories plus 1 Old Nag's Head

kenholway

Post by kenholway »

Nags Head in vicar lane, town hall in headrow and unicorn in Bramley were Musgrave and sagar pubs. Timmy taylors now have the town hall and unicorn
nags head and Robin Hood in vicar lane gone....

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

kenholway wrote: Timmy taylors now have the town hall and unicorn
Welcome Ken a rather prolific first day's posting. The Unicorn is a Wetherspoons not Timmy Taylors but you are correct that the Town Hall Tavern is.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/