Duck and Drake

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Hazman

Post by Hazman »

Hi allI wonder if any one can shed some light on this for me.As we kow the Duck is well known for its real ale however I am curious about its history, in particular the outbuildings at the back of the pub.One of the buildings is a large construction that could possibly have been a stable connected to a smaller building with a distinctive tall chimney. This building could have been a blacksmiths.Another question is does the cobbled street at the side of the pub have a name?        
"On the Leeds side-streets that you slip downProvincial towns you jog 'round"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Here's one i'm sure Drapsey will be able to unravel for you with his great pub knowledge. Can't help you with the question mate but they do have some good live bands on in there although your packed in like sardines!
Attachments
__TFMF_jzbbzt55aukawm453ombqcfp_ad8ae13b-d70b-431e-944d-bac9470a2566_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jzbbzt55aukawm453ombqcfp_ad8ae13b-d70b-431e-944d-bac9470a2566_0_main.jpg (70.89 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I'll do my best folks!!!being a real ale fan I know the Duck and Drake well (I think I was in there on my stag night!!!) - In the 80's it was one of only a few places (such as the Eagle and Brahms and Liszt) where you could get ales different to the Tetley/Whitbread/john smiths tied house fare) I remember getting Boddingtons (before it became a dreadful national 'brand') here for the first time.Before it became the Duck and Drake it was a run-of the mill pub called the 'Brougham Arms'I've never paid much attention to the buildings at the back - (the toilets are there , or used to be ) - but a 'tall chimney' near a pub usually means there was once a brewhouse to serve the pub.(for example look at the building attached to the Cardigan Arms on Kirkstall Road)The street at the side of the pub is called 'Harper Street'.
Attachments
__TFMF_f0j23h45mxgdfk23rdos1455_bc886799-3ef3-492b-b97f-e855f3e7c19e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_f0j23h45mxgdfk23rdos1455_bc886799-3ef3-492b-b97f-e855f3e7c19e_0_main.jpg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BONDGATE BUSES

Post by BONDGATE BUSES »

Just an idea - if the buildings someone mentioned above were indeed a blacksmith's or stables this would tie in with the name "Brougham Arms", as a Brougham was a light horse drawn carriage - just a thought. In the old days the left hand room had a little corner stage and a piano, and many a hopeful from the several nearby men's hostels would have a go at a bit of music, vocal or piano.
I spent a very happy 44 years in all aspects of bus and coach operation, in Ilkley,Otley, Leeds, Pontefract,Castleford, Wakefield and York.

Hazman

Post by Hazman »

[quotenick="BONDGATE BUSES"]Just an idea - if the buildings someone mentioned above were indeed a blacksmith's or stables this would tie in with the name "Brougham Arms", as a Brougham was a light horse drawn carriage - just a thought. In the old days the left hand room had a little corner stage and a piano, and many a hopeful from the several nearby men's hostels would have a go at a bit of music, vocal or piano.[/quotThank you for the info.however ,the cobbled street I mentioned runs between the back of the fish reteraunt and the pub.On the subject of live music yes tn yhe 80s and 90s the Duck was one of my haunts, as well as he Haddon Hall,Duchess,Grove,Roal Park and the sadly missed Astoria.Remember this lot above?
Attachments
__TFMF_gezd33rjmfof2c55ojdt5r55_d20a7fee-f1e2-450b-9674-4ef744a3cea5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gezd33rjmfof2c55ojdt5r55_d20a7fee-f1e2-450b-9674-4ef744a3cea5_0_main.jpg (327.55 KiB) Viewed 4272 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

yep drapesy the gents at least is still oot the back. Never looked for the Ladies me sen.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Hazman wrote: BONDGATE BUSES wrote: Just an idea - if the buildings someone mentioned above were indeed a blacksmith's or stables this would tie in with the name "Brougham Arms", as a Brougham was a light horse drawn carriage - just a thought. In the old days the left hand room had a little corner stage and a piano, and many a hopeful from the several nearby men's hostels would have a go at a bit of music, vocal or piano. Thank you for the info.however ,the cobbled street I mentioned runs between the back of the fish reteraunt and the pub.On the subject of live music yes tn yhe 80s and 90s the Duck was one of my haunts, as well as he Haddon Hall,Duchess,Grove,Roal Park and the sadly missed Astoria.Remember this lot above? Bloody hell, Bruised 'N' Used, that takes me back! Yeah, I remember seeing bands at all those places and played at all bar the Grove and the Astoria. The Duck has been my favourite pub for the last twenty years, even though my big drinking days are long over I still like to nip in now and then. I'm playing there a week tomorrow...

Hazman

Post by Hazman »

Bloody hell, Bruised 'N' Used, that takes me back! Yeah, I remember seeing bands at all those places and played at all bar the Grove and the Astoria. The Duck has been my favourite pub for the last twenty years, even though my big drinking days are long over I still like to nip in now and then. I'm playing there a week tomorrow...[/quotIs your band mispelt on http://www.bloozpromoz.com/?

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Hazman wrote: LeeRatbag wrote: Bloody hell, Bruised 'N' Used, that takes me back! Yeah, I remember seeing bands at all those places and played at all bar the Grove and the Astoria. The Duck has been my favourite pub for the last twenty years, even though my big drinking days are long over I still like to nip in now and then. I'm playing there a week tomorrow... Is your band mispelt on http://www.bloozpromoz.com/? Heh. Didn't notice that! We were Killer Crows in the pub window, Killer Cows on the website... is "The Kingcrows" really that hard to get right? Killer Cows...jeez.....

stevief

Post by stevief »

There can't be many pubs in Leeds city centre with a genuine open fire.Even the Duck 'n' Drake looks cosy on a cold winters day when the fire's blazing away.