North Tavern that was on North Street.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

North Tavern that was on North Street.

Post by Leodian »

A North Tavern is shown on maps to at least 1962 but possibly not by at least 1971. It was about where the Leeds College of Building is on North Street. I only seem to find brief mentions of North Tavern and even in a photo in Leodis a view of it is obscured by a bus! It was one of several pubs on North Street but none now survive with the recent closure of the Eagle Tavern that is being made into flats. I wonder if anyone as any information on it, or recalls at least using the North Tavern?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: North Tavern that was on North Street.

Post by volvojack »

If it was the one on a street corner and North st. on the left hand side going away from town it was certainly open 1960 when i worked down there. the pub i recollect was situated between Grafton St and Skinner Lane, possibly a John Smiths. never went in there myself, would think it would be a Locals pub in those days.
Tried to find your picture but all i get is the Eagle pub.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:If it was the one on a street corner and North st. on the left hand side going away from town it was certainly open 1960 when i worked down there. the pub i recollect was situated between Grafton St and Skinner Lane, possibly a John Smiths. never went in there myself, would think it would be a Locals pub in those days.
Tried to find your picture but all i get is the Eagle pub.
Hi volvojack :)

I can't find the photo either now! Heaven knows where I saw it as I felt sure it was in Leodis and that the caption to it noted that North Tavern was obscured by a bus. I'm now very :? .

Maps show that going away from town North Tavern was on the right hand side of North Street so I wonder if you may be thinking of the Golden Lion that was on the left a little further down from North Tavern?

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Here's your photo Leo. It's a tram.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 111_170022

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Geordie-exile wrote:Here's your photo Leo. It's a tram.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 111_170022
Thanks for that link Geordie-exile :).

I wonder why I could not find it before after finding it yesterday? My searching results can be very hit and miss (usually miss ;) ) for whatever reason!

It's a great photo of the tram. The view is presumably deceptive as there only seems to be 3 tracks not 4 and there hardly seems even to be enough room for 2 sets of tracks!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good Picture. Can not remember this pub even though i used to have trousers made by Bernard Rose tailors(number 102) and I worked at Number 140. Are you sure it was still open as walked past this area quite regularly ?
The Pub I referred to on the other side was where i alighted from the bus each morning.
As for the Golden Lion pub that was at the bottom of North Street, possibly being on the beginning of Meanwood Road.

jim

Post by jim »

I seem to remember the pub at the start of Meanwood Road (LHS) being The Golden Cross, not Lion.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Looking in to my memory Bank (which is open only limited hours) Jim you are correct, North Street went of to the right of the Midland Bank and the Golden Cross was just on the left, fine looking pub from the outside but must admit I never went in, any Drinking down there was in the KIngs Arms farther on.
This North Tavern I am thinking maybe had closed when I was around there late 1950s.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

On the 1950's map there are just three pubs going down North Street from the Dispensary, the North Tavern, the Eagle and finally at the junction of Meanwood Road, Chapeltown Road and North Street is the Golden Cross Hotel.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Well that scuppers my "Pub left hand side" yet i was certain. Gawd knows what it was then.