Broadway Pub Dewsbury Road.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
volvojack

Broadway Pub Dewsbury Road.

Post by volvojack »

On my last visit to Leeds I was sat having a couple of pints with an old Pal of mine in South Leeds Conservative Club Beeston ( which seems to be one of the few clean and quiet places in Beeston to be going for a drink these days) Going backward in time as one tends to do at my age I said that in my opinion that the Broadway was always the most comfortable pub around there whereas he said It was Tommy Wass's
my memory's of the Broadway was that if you entered by the right hand door you were in a nice Lounge and then further on to a larger Lounge / room where most evenings they had a piano playing. outside if you went in the left hand side of this Road house that was a large Bar. Darts and dominoes etc.
The Lounge and Music room were very well upholstered,/ comfortable, maybe the décor was a bit dated but it was always a warm friendly place plus waiters to bring your drinks. I was not a John Smith's fan but you went where you could take your date and she would be impressed. The Broadway won hands down for me every time.

garymgarym

Re: Broadway Pub Dewsbury Road.

Post by garymgarym »

That's exactly how I remember it! Mind you that was a while ago as I now live in Australia, came out here in 1969. But I do remember it fondly. Thanks for the post.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

garymgarym wrote:That's exactly how I remember it! Mind you that was a while ago as I now live in Australia, came out here in 1969. But I do remember it fondly. Thanks for the post.
Hi Gary, No Foster's Lager in those days, were you a Beestoner ?
Regards Jack Daly.

garymgarym

Post by garymgarym »

Jack, nice of you to respond.
I think Beeston is a great place, walked through Cross Flat Park just last week, was over there visiting family.
Was born in Middleton, did my apprenticeship as a compositor (1962-1968) in Holbeck. Am lucky enough to get back there usually every 12 months or so. Had a lovely pint at the Northern Monk a couple of Sundays ago. You are welcome to Fosters!
Best regards, Gary Marshall