Strippers at "The Whip"

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
volvojack

Strippers at "The Whip"

Post by volvojack »

Up to the late 1950 / 60s there had never been Female Strippers in Leeds. we young lads used to got Manchester where clubs like the Domino and Bernard Manning's club held these nights. My brother who was the Concert Secretary at Jim Windsor's Commercial Club got the landlords permission to hold a Strip night at the upstairs room in the Whip. . Though I was a regular drinker in the Whip, to me it only ever had a bar and a long lounge / room so we went upstairs and it looked like it had never seen the light of day for years and years. There was thick layers of dust and dirt everywhere but in the "Interests Of Art" we got to work and managed to clean it. Our Kid brought two Lasses from Manchester over , we charged a £1. on the door, full house and everyone had a really good time.
As it was Illegal the Landlord did not dare risk it again even thought he sold lots of booze that evening.

P.s These Strippers were quite more advanced than the ones who posed nude at the City Varieties.

P.P.s. I wonder if there is anyone as ancient as myself who remembers this event ?.

buffaloskinner

Re: Strippers at "The Whip"

Post by buffaloskinner »

No but I seem to recall there was a Lap Dancing club upstairs on Duncan Street in the 90s
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

liits

Post by liits »

Somewhat off topic but, I was, at one time a frequent visitor to the Bierkeller under the Merion Centre [lunchtimes while at college]. Obviously they had strippers but my main interest was the beer – steins of Ayingerbrau.
Thinking about it now, I can’t think how the place got away with serving steins – a litre or more or less a pint and three quarters.
I know that it was on metered dispense and that most such dispenses operated at a half pint per go. The question is this; apart from paying over the odds [a quid] to watching a few quite elderly ladies taking their clothes off, were we also being fleeced with the quantity of beer we got for our money? I don’t recall if the steins were full to the brim but I bet we were only getting a pint and a half per go.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Liits you sure it wasn't one of those Grab A Granny nights you went to?
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

liits

Post by liits »

buffaloskinner wrote:Liits you sure it wasn't one of those Grab A Granny nights you went to?
I certainly wasn't grabbing anybody, grannies or otherwise! :lol: Like the Double Diamond advert, I was "only here for the beer". The place was mostly full of 17 & 18 year olds like us and the ladies were obviously sure enough of their safety from grubby juvenile paws that they would come amongst us and some thought they were lucky if they were offered the chance to untie a bow here or there. Thankfully, it was never offered to me, but one of my mates who considered himself the great Lothario, discovered that the fancy bow at the front of the bra was tied such that it didn't untie, was only for decoration and bore no relation to how the garment was fastened.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

liits wrote:
buffaloskinner wrote:Liits you sure it wasn't one of those Grab A Granny nights you went to?
I certainly wasn't grabbing anybody, grannies or otherwise! :lol: Like the Double Diamond advert, I was "only here for the beer". The place was mostly full of 17 & 18 year olds like us and the ladies were obviously sure enough of their safety from grubby juvenile paws that they would come amongst us and some thought they were lucky if they were offered the chance to untie a bow here or there. Thankfully, it was never offered to me, but one of my mates who considered himself the great Lothario, discovered that the fancy bow at the front of the bra was tied such that it didn't untie, was only for decoration and bore no relation to how the garment was fastened.
I wonder if Grab a Granny has any connection with the Granny Knot (perhaps not!) ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I think it refers to a lad going out looking for a girl at a dance and when it gets near the end of the evening only the plainer or older ladies are left.
desperation sets in and you "Grab" anyone you can.

Strangely enough when you become a Grandfather these old Lasses don't look so bad after all.......

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

They used to have strippers at the Gaiety, They went there on a rota of other pubs. Don't know how many places they did a night.

Chip

Post by Chip »

Volvojack, im a touch too young to remember, strippers at the Whip, however I do remember them at the Peggy Tub, during the 90,s, you wouldn't happen to be Peters Brother, would you ?.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Chip wrote:Volvojack, im a touch too young to remember, strippers at the Whip, however I do remember them at the Peggy Tub, during the 90,s, you wouldn't happen to be Peters Brother, would you ?.

Peter Daly's brother, Yes.