The Oakwood, Oakwood, Leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leigh80

The Oakwood, Oakwood, Leeds

Post by Leigh80 »

Morning all -

I'm researching The Oakwood Pub for an article I'm writing. I lived in Oakwood as a child, and remember the place fondly, but unfortunately I was too young (just!) to actually drink in the place - I I turned old enough to get away with it, it was turned into a McDonals (which it still is today) As far as I can recall, it was a Beefeater Inn.

Is there anyone on here that would be willing to give me some detail about drinking in there in the 80's and early 90's? I'm particulary interested in:

* What beers were on the bar?
* Do you remember the Grotto? (I do!)- like a kids area with cave walls etc etc
* Who ran the place?
* Anyone have any pictures of around that time?

Feel free to post on here, or if you'd like to remain anon, drop me a message.

Thanks guys!

jdbythesea

Re: The Oakwood, Oakwood, Leeds

Post by jdbythesea »

I used to go in the Oakwood from time to time for the last hour or so on occasional Saturdays. Unfortunately, I can't recall much detail other than we (an old girlfriend and I) used to call the "best" room where we sat - the red room. Alas, I can't be more helpful. 1968, was, after all, a few years ago.

nepas

Post by nepas »

it was a fish restaurant in the 70s

discoduck

Post by discoduck »

my local in the 80s.Turn right for the resteraunt, left for the pub. Big seating area by the bar. Down the steps, raised platform in the left hand corner and down to a little snug. Lot of exotic tobacco smoked in there. Pint of lager and a pils and lime about £1.50.
Eileen behind the bar. Married John Kirk from RBS in Leeds, my wifes colleague. Happy days

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to Secret Leeds discoduck.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Peterdavidshaw

Post by Peterdavidshaw »

I remember trying to get in after school to have a nosey around and occasionally doing so But if i remember rightly it closed when i was in year 7 ......and became a mcdonakds in year 8 or 9....so it must have been about 96/97

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leigh80 wrote:Morning all -

I'm researching The Oakwood Pub for an article I'm writing. I lived in Oakwood as a child, and remember the place fondly, but unfortunately I was too young (just!) to actually drink in the place - I I turned old enough to get away with it, it was turned into a McDonals (which it still is today) As far as I can recall, it was a Beefeater Inn.

Is there anyone on here that would be willing to give me some detail about drinking in there in the 80's and early 90's? I'm particulary interested in:

* What beers were on the bar?
* Do you remember the Grotto? (I do!)- like a kids area with cave walls etc etc
* Who ran the place?
* Anyone have any pictures of around that time?

Feel free to post on here, or if you'd like to remain anon, drop me a message.

Thanks guys!
I think it started as a Hammonds pub, but went to Whitbread.

Tankard & Trophy Bitter?

MrH

Post by MrH »

I used to live nearby and remember it as a Beefeater - must have been for a family meal at some stage as I remember the Beefeater grotto layout. My Sisters used to frequent the place probably before they were legally able to but I was much younger. The bit of trivia I do remember is that "Martin" the Chef later got the Managers/Landlords job at the Gipton which later became Bugatti's and is now the Roundhay.

Leigh80

Post by Leigh80 »

MrH wrote:I used to live nearby and remember it as a Beefeater - must have been for a family meal at some stage as I remember the Beefeater grotto layout. My Sisters used to frequent the place probably before they were legally able to but I was much younger. The bit of trivia I do remember is that "Martin" the Chef later got the Managers/Landlords job at the Gipton which later became Bugatti's and is now the Roundhay.
Thanks for this, really useful!

Leigh80

Post by Leigh80 »

Any more for any more? Article should be online by the end of May but I'm really in need of pictures and memories of The Oakwood Pub/The Beefeater?