Angel Pub off Briggate.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
volvojack

Angel Pub off Briggate.

Post by volvojack »

Just had a couple of enjoyable days in my old home town and called in this Pub which has appeared since I was last having a drink in the City Centre. I know this pub has been mentioned before but can't locate the article. anyway it was last Friday and there were lots of folks sat outside at lunchtime. not a lot inside which gave me a chance to have a skeg all around. Nice place, nice drink, I was impressed. Talking about this ex. pub being over 100s old fell on deaf ears to our Lass as she is a Bristol girl and 200 to 300 year old Boozers are quite common place. Anyway then I took her round the Victoria Quarter where all the staff in the shops seem to be like 20 year old waxworks figures. there seemed to be lots of reconstruction work going on, both on King Edward St and the Market. after a couple of hours we headed off back to Crossgates, most enjoyable.
Just an aside we stayed two nights in the Milford Hotel on the Selby Road, Peckfield. would really recommend it if you ever have guests coming. It is way way above the likes of the Hilton and the like. Th]e time passed muchtoo quickly.

P.s. Though it never a Pub I went in much it was sad to see the Royal Oak in Kirkgate closed as a Pub.

tyke bhoy

Re: Angel Pub off Briggate.

Post by tyke bhoy »

Did the Angel still reek of cigarette smoke? Its probably a couple of years since I've been in and there was still a whiff then. I first requented it just before the smoking ban, but long after the ban my wife told me I stank of smoke after visiting the Angel. Given this was the last stop off before a bus home after playing football, showering and then visiting Arcadia in Headingley (which opened before the ban as non smoking) it could only be from the Angel.

I think this is the thread that first drew it to your attention http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=5954
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello Tyke Bhoy,
Did not notice any ciggy smell although I just had a quick look around and with it being such a nice day we sat outside. would not want to venture down that dog leg alley on a dark night.
Yes It was your good self that brought my attention to the Angel ( I was j.c.d. in a previous life )

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

While I commented on that thread and asked, on yet another thread, if you had visited as intended on a previous visit to Leeds it was Uncle Mick who first mentioned the Angel on that thread.

It would usually have been dark nights when I left the Angel heading to the bus station for the 10.15, 10.45 or very occasionally 11.15 110 to Wakey.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/