The Harvester Wide Lane.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
volvojack

The Harvester Wide Lane.

Post by volvojack »

I wonder if, when on a nice sunny day the customers who are sat outside having a meal at the Harvester on the corner of Dewsbury Rd. and Wide Lane realise that prior to this there was an animal fat rendering / recycling factory on this site and the smell as you passed by was awful, I would think only about 20 to 30 years ago and coupled with the sewage beds stench at the back of the Woodman Pub a mile or so away this was a spot to drive past very quickly. opposite the two buildings on the other side of Dewsbury Rd. was the Council waste tip valleys and nowadays it is nice to see how lush, level and green that area is.

jdbythesea

Re: The Harvester Wide Lane.

Post by jdbythesea »

Volvojack's post stirs my own memories from growing up on Dewsbury Road in the 50s, The pong was often so strong that you'd have all on to stop being ill. Now we meet and have a bite to eat at The Harvester where the food and service are fairly good. As we live on the Yorkshire coast these days and my daughter lives on Merseyside it's a sort of halfway house for us when we collect and return our grandson to his Mum and Dad. I tell them what it was once like but I'm not sure they entirely believe me.

My how things have changed.

liits

Post by liits »

I know what you mean about such a smell making you feel ill. One of my "cushier" postings in Northern Ireland was at the notorious HMP Maze. About a mile down the road was the equally notorious Burn House animal rendering plant. The prevailing wind was in the direction of the jail and even when it wasn't it was possible to smell the place.
Having just had a quick look for the Burn House on line it seems that this had been a problem as far back as the 1960's but that the place had finally closed in recent years. The local residents [the prison being long gone] are now up in arms about a plan to build a "Gassification Plant" on the site to turn household waste into electricity. Poor sods.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

volvojack wrote:I wonder if, when on a nice sunny day the customers who are sat outside having a meal at the Harvester on the corner of Dewsbury Rd. and Wide Lane realise that prior to this there was an animal fat rendering / recycling factory on this site and the smell as you passed by was awful, I would think only about 20 to 30 years ago and coupled with the sewage beds stench at the back of the Woodman Pub a mile or so away this was a spot to drive past very quickly. opposite the two buildings on the other side of Dewsbury Rd. was the Council waste tip valleys and nowadays it is nice to see how lush, level and green that area is.

It's funny how some things can be recalled and not others. What I remember about this place (apart from the stink) was the dark green sign-age with gold lettering and though I could be stabbing in the dark,Craven Calvert springs to mind re the factory name and possibly nearer forty years long gone rather than twenty.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jdbythesea wrote:Volvojack's post stirs my own memories from growing up on Dewsbury Road in the 50s, The pong was often so strong that you'd have all on to stop being ill. Now we meet and have a bite to eat at The Harvester where the food and service are fairly good. As we live on the Yorkshire coast these days and my daughter lives on Merseyside it's a sort of halfway house for us when we collect and return our grandson to his Mum and Dad. I tell them what it was once like but I'm not sure they entirely believe me.

I also grew up just off Dewsbury Rd. in the 1950s, Barkly Parade, were you living anywhere near there J.D. ?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I worked in Bradford 88-92.the stench from a firm called waddingtons in the same business was horrendous in warm weather.
They appear to be still trading I see their wagon collecting in Harehills on a regular basis.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The Land fill site opposite the Woodman Inn on Dewsbury Rd. also produced its own aroma as in those days the contents of dustbins were open and the lorries just tipped and it was left to the elements until such time as soil was then shovelled over it.
So driving up and down that area was certainly not where one would have the car windows open.
At least the seagulls liked it.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

volvojack wrote:
jdbythesea wrote:Volvojack's post stirs my own memories from growing up on Dewsbury Road in the 50s, The pong was often so strong that you'd have all on to stop being ill. Now we meet and have a bite to eat at The Harvester where the food and service are fairly good. As we live on the Yorkshire coast these days and my daughter lives on Merseyside it's a sort of halfway house for us when we collect and return our grandson to his Mum and Dad. I tell them what it was once like but I'm not sure they entirely believe me.

I also grew up just off Dewsbury Rd. in the 1950s, Barkly Parade, were you living anywhere near there J.D. ?

volvojack, I was reared at the Hunslet end but also had family in Morley. Coincidentally, I later worked at Waddington's on Firth Road in the early 60s.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jdbythesea wrote:
volvojack wrote:

volvojack, I was reared at the Hunslet end but also had family in Morley. Coincidentally, I later worked at Waddington's on Firth Road in the early 60s.

One of the lads (can't recall his name who who worked at Waddy's used to come into Cross Flatts club on Theodore St. just nearby and every so often I would buy him a pint and he would bring me in a couple of packs of cards for our gang to play with as the ones the club had used to get dog eared. another fellow always used to moan that we never got him and his mates new cards so I promised to have some delivered on the Friday night. I got this lad to bring in two complete packs un guillotined so the cards were in one piece about 3ft. x 2ft.6ins. he never asked us again. That was in the 1960s Happy days