Incident at the Old Red Lion on New Market Street in 1873.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Incident at the Old Red Lion on New Market Street in 1873.

Post by Leodian »

In John Mayhall’s ‘Annals of Yorkshire’ vol III, for May 20 1873 it states:-

“In pulling down some old buildings for the improvement of New Market Street, Leeds, a portion of an ancient building known as the Old Red Lion, occupied by Mr. Alfred Taylor, came down with a crash between one and two o’clock. The break up gave but a brief warning, and fourteen or fifteen men in the tap-room of the Red Lion had barely time to obey the landlord’s summons to “Come out” before the lower portion of the old-fashioned hostelry was a complete wreck. Just before the crash came, however, Pearson, the brewer and waiter, made a dash into the tap-room to rescue two favourite cocks, and he became buried amongst the ruins. The outer wall on the side of the excavation had given way, a great breach was made by the collapse, and the floors and chimney pieces of the tap-room and a warehouse occupied by Mr. Tiffany, brushmaker, fell amongst two thousand gallons of ale stored in the cellar below. Pearson was rescued immediately, but he had received such injuries that rendered his removal to the Infirmary necessary. His birds were unhurt, but a dog was injured by the falling rubbish.”

Two thousand gallons of ale sounds a lot! I wonder though how long it would have lasted then? Nice to see that the cocks were unhurt but I wonder happened to the dog?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

j.c.d.

Re: Incident at the Old Red Lion on New Market Street in 1873.

Post by j.c.d. »

Leodian wrote:In John Mayhall’s ‘Annals of Yorkshire’ vol III, for May 20 1873 it states:-

“In pulling down some old buildings for the improvement of New Market Street, Leeds, a portion of an ancient building known as the Old Red Lion, occupied by Mr. Alfred Taylor, came down with a crash between one and two o’clock. The break up gave but a brief warning, and fourteen or fifteen men in the tap-room of the Red Lion had barely time to obey the landlord’s summons to “Come out” before the lower portion of the old-fashioned hostelry was a complete wreck. Just before the crash came, however, Pearson, the brewer and waiter, made a dash into the tap-room to rescue two favourite cocks, and he became buried amongst the ruins. The outer wall on the side of the excavation had given way, a great breach was made by the collapse, and the floors and chimney pieces of the tap-room and a warehouse occupied by Mr. Tiffany, brushmaker, fell amongst two thousand gallons of ale stored in the cellar below. Pearson was rescued immediately, but he had received such injuries that rendered his removal to the Infirmary necessary. His birds were unhurt, but a dog was injured by the falling rubbish.”

Two thousand gallons of ale sounds a lot! I wonder though how long it would have lasted then? Nice to see that the cocks were unhurt but I wonder happened to the dog?

If the dog was a Spaniel maybe it took residence up in the King Charles pub back of Schofield's store.
Does it mention Mr. Tiffany among the Two thousand gallons ? he might have taken some getting out...

liits

Post by liits »

2000 gallons seems like a lot but it depends how it is [literally] viewed.
2000 gallons as a whole represents a cube of a little over six and three quarter feet on all sides. in terms of barrels - proper barrels of 36 gallons, would be 55 and a bit. Now that's a hell of a lot and would be some store room. If they were knocking out that much I wonder if he was supplying [selling to] other pubs?
Further to this I wonder if the freeholder of the premises, Christopher S Wetherill, took the opportunity to upgrade the premises afted the collapse as on the 25th September of that year the premises, previously a Beer House, was granted a "Wine License". If this was the case or not, he certainly had the money to do it, he owned other property in Kirkgate, the Central Market and North Street. A Provisions Dealer, he had inherited the family business from his late mother and when he died in 1902, left over £132k, no small sum!
As to the publican mentioned, Alfred Taylor, this was his only stint as a licensee. He died on the 29th December 1873.
The name of the pub, Old Red Lion [and variously called just the Red Lion] wasn't that "old". Alfred was the first recorded licensee and the premises makes its first appearance only in the 1872 Beer House Register [although this was only a collation of Beer House Licenses already in existence]. It first appears in the trade directories [Jones'] in 1866. The 1861 census records Alfred already living in Fletcher's Yard with his wife and son. His occupation is recorded as Iron Moulder, so some time between this and 1872 he had obviously obtained a Beer House License. If the 2000 gallons is to be believed, he had built up a hell of a business in a short time.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi j.c.d. Your "If the dog was a Spaniel maybe it took residence up in the King Charles pub back of Schofield's store.
Does it mention Mr. Tiffany among the Two thousand gallons ? he might have taken some getting out..." resulted in me :lol: a lot.

Thanks liits for that excellent information.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

[quote="Leodian"]Hi j.c.d. Your "If the dog was a Spaniel maybe it took residence up in the King Charles pub back of Schofield's store.
Does it mention Mr. Tiffany among the Two thousand gallons ? he might have taken some getting out..." resulted in me :lol: a lot.

Thanks Leodian, I do like a bit of humour as long as I don't interrupt a serious subject. Regards j.c.d.