Sycamore Pub Morley 1950s.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
j.c.d.

Sycamore Pub Morley 1950s.

Post by j.c.d. »

In the late 1950s my pals and I used to like the Sycamore Tetley's pub in Morley. not only was the beer excellent but they opened 30 minutes more than the Leeds pubs. also they had live music on a Sunday and Monday evenings, As beer was only just under two shillings a pint (10p.) so it was not uncommon if you gave the Waiter (most Pubs had them to serve you) a Pound note, he would give you your change to 10 shillings and bring you the other ten bob note later. By and large they could be relied on to bring you it but there were times, especially in busy town pubs where they "Forgot on purpose" This Sunday night I had quite a few pints in the "Secy" as it was known locally. when I got back to Beeston and put my money on the fireplace top I realised that could not possibly have spent so much . I had left home with £1.50p (Thirty Bob) and then I remembered the waiter owed me ten shillings and had not given it to me. As we usually went up to Morley on a Monday night I headed for the pub not really expecting a result but when I accosted the waiter he came across with the Half a Quid. So relieved ..... that's how it was in those days, now when I take the family out for a drink and maybe a meal I have no idea how much it is going to cost me.
Sad to hear that the Sycamore has closed for good.

uncle mick

Re: Sycamore Pub Morley 1950s.

Post by uncle mick »

I worked as a waiter at the Broadway on Dewsbury Road 1967/68, Bitter was two shillings (10p) & the mild was 1/9d (circa 8.5p). Usually but not always when you took a round of drinks to a table you were asked to have a drink. We took a shilling for a half, some nights I could make £3 in tips which was a lot of money in those days :D

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Saving up to get married I also worked as a waiter in the King Edward Pub in town. upstairs in the music lounge. tips were quite plentiful but you had to have eyes in the back of your head as the lads *Meccarites" would nick a pint or bottle from your tray if you took your eyes off it. I just lived down the road from the Broadway but was not a fan of John Smiths beer although after getting married we all went there for the evening. a nice respectable pub in those days.
Wonder how young ones today who are used to calculators etc. would fare with the 1/9s plus 2/11 and seven pence half
pennys etc. all to be added on the spot and change given.

P.s. Forgot to say that we got 5/- an hour (25p.) in the Edward and after closing time we had to clear the downstairs two bars of customers and as the one on the left was a hangout for Brass nails (street girls) getting some of the male customers out was a bit tricky.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Many pubs had waiters in the 60's as many will remember
Some times new waiters used to "float" with the float and probably the tips
and much of the takings never to be seen again.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

j.c.d. - when I was eighteen in 1954 I lived in Ilkley but worked in Leeds and had friends from Morley who used to take me to "he Seccy." Its a long time ago but I remember it being a very friendly cosy place - then of course I had to leave early to catch the number 36 "Yorkshire Woollen" bus back to Leeds and then another bus for a 55 minute journey back to Ilkley, but they were grand evenings out and worth the travelling. Oh I wish I could turn the clock back. :) :)
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Though we are the same age I did not go into t' Seccy until about 1957. Tetleys mild beer was delicious. it had a small room at the front which was hardly used and if one was fortunate to have "Pulled a bird" either in there or elsewhere in Morley it was a quiet place to take them. Happy Days.