Pub off Central Road .

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
j.c.d.

Re: Pub off Central Road .

Post by j.c.d. »

Have had to revise my post as my memory was playing me up again. I was thinking the Dolphin pub was nearer the General Elliot , what I don't understand is the "In 1964 it became the Empire Arcade" quote below the photograph. I know Harvey Nicholls took over an area of that name (ex. Empire Theatre) in Briggate years later.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

There certainly seem to be something wrong as that building showing John Collier is now Debenhams, certainly not the Empire Arcade

:?:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

There is what was the Cross Arcade in between even if the Pub became some sort of Arcade which is impossible because of shops on King Edward St. and Queen Victoria St.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

What has made my day is finding the photo of the Dolphin building and seeing five floors up the Dolphin Crest confirming that it was built as a Public house of that name. there is mention of it being opened in the mid 1850s which means, I suppose that all that block were built at the same time,

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Sorry buffaloskinner, but I think you're a main street adrift. Debenhams (formerly Matthias Robinson) is on the corner of Briggate and King Edward Street. The Dolphin and the former John Collier are on Vicar Lane
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

My mistake Blakey, I was looking at the building, its the same as on Vicar Lane.

Now this is Vicar Lane giving a similar view to what's on Leodis

https://goo.gl/maps/bmwop

:arrow:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Beneath the Leodis picture it still states that the Dolphin was converted to the Empire Arcade which can't be so.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Yes indeed I do see what you mean buffaloskinner, and of course the whole splendid "estate" was built in that very handsome fashion - but of course in the Vicar Lane view Matthias Robinson/Debenhams would have been on the right of the block rather than the left when viewed from Briggate - nevertheless its a very interesting likeness for sure and just demonstrates how easily even only a few years can convince people's memories that locations were not exactly as they are recalled. :) :)
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Are we saying that these two pictures are of different locations ?.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Definitely j.c.d. - in the modern picture , to the left of "French connections" is King Edward Street, in the middle of the picture is the projecting glass roof of the Victoria Quarter (formerly Queen Victoria Street) and to the right of the picture (beyond the Headrow traffic light just showing amber) is the present one way part of Vicar Lane with the Dipensary visible beyond and also the Lovell Park multi story flats..

Or am I now getting confused and are you referring to this picture and the older one when you say "these two pictures." Come to think of it, the reference to Debenhams was only in words rather than a picture so I feel egg coming on the face. Off to bed now - hectic day tomorrow.