Pub off Central Road .

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
j.c.d.

Pub off Central Road .

Post by j.c.d. »

In the 1950s I remember going in a pub which was on a corner behind Rawcliffes Outfitters on Duncan Street Maybe it was on Central Road but I just can't recall either the name or the exact location. from what I do remember is it was not a Tetley or a Melbourne house.
Last edited by j.c.d. on Sat 12 Sep, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BLAKEY

Re: Pub off Central Road .

Post by BLAKEY »

It was the Admiral j.c.d. - and I believe that the name and/or nature of it was later changed to something I can't recall - a club of some kind possibly ??.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BLAKEY wrote:It was the Admiral j.c.d. - and I believe that the name and/or nature of it was later changed to something I can't recall - a club of some kind possibly ??.
Before that it was The Central Market hotel. A Sam Smiths pub

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Attachments
Central Market Hotel.jpg
Central Market Hotel.jpg (35.64 KiB) Viewed 4269 times

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Thank you firstly Blakey that name does sound familiar and to Uncle Mick for this excellent picture. is this Boar Lane as the pub I recall was in a side street. apologies for being a bit thick

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

j.c.d. wrote:Thank you firstly Blakey that name does sound familiar and to Uncle Mick for this excellent picture. is this Boar Lane as the pub I recall was in a side street. apologies for being a bit thick
It's Duncan Street jcd

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

uncle mick wrote:
j.c.d. wrote:Thank you firstly Blakey that name does sound familiar and to Uncle Mick for this excellent picture. is this Boar Lane as the pub I recall was in a side street. apologies for being a bit thick
It's Duncan Street jcd[/quote

Sorry I meant Duncan Street but did not think the Pub was on that corner, I imagined it was farther back in Central road almost behind where Woolworth rear entrance was. strange how time erodes one's memory.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

When I first read this thread I recalled the pub but could not recall its name so thanks Blakey for saying it was the Admiral. I wonder if it was so named because of the Admiral Duncan who I believe the Duncan pub is named after. Duncan disorderly may be a fun name for some users of the pubs in the area ;).

Talking of pubs I seem to recall that not many years back there was a pub at the junction of Duncan Street and Call Lane but if there was I cannot recall its name. Was there a pub there? I know I could look at the long old pubs thread but not knowing its name makes it hard to search!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Leodian wrote:When I first read this thread I recalled the pub but could not recall its name so thanks Blakey for saying it was the Admiral. I wonder if it was so named because of the Admiral Duncan who I believe the Duncan pub is named after. Duncan disorderly may be a fun name for some users of the pubs in the area ;).

Talking of pubs I seem to recall that not many years back there was a pub at the junction of Duncan Street and Call Lane but if there was I cannot recall its name. Was there a pub there? I know I could look at the long old pubs thread but not knowing its name makes it hard to search!
In 1957 I came out of the R.A.F. and my pal worked at Bradley's pork butchers on Duncan Street. on the corner where the entrance to the Whip pub was. he persuaded me to go and work with him. Mrs. Bradley was a slave driver . we used to have liquid lunch every day in that pub and work out the "Fiddle" it was a Sam Smiths house, The Star and Garter. (unless I have gone completely cuckoo).

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:!:
After the Star and Garter closed it became Storeys Amusements
:arrow:
Attachments
Storeys Corn Ex.JPG
Storeys Corn Ex.JPG (105.21 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Up above was Statmans Betting Office but after Mr. Statman died his widow gambled the office away in the Thee Coins club on Albion Walk. it became the property of my old boss Sydney Lee and Mick Christie (Jeff Christies dad) they used to hold gambling sessions up there from Friday nights to Monday morning. My job on Saturday, treble time on Sunday to supply them with coffee and sandwiches. On Mondays I used to drive my boss back in his Jaguar with the boot stuffed with carrier bags of pound notes. sadly I never got my hands on any. Ah well still they were happy days