Pub off Central Road .

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Re: Pub off Central Road .

Post by Leodian »

Hoping that a slight deviation off-topic is not minded, despite that they were only closed in very recent years I am already finding it difficult to visually recall the Nags Head and the Duchess (that used to be the Robin Hood?) on Vicar Lane near The Headrow. The Nags Head is now a branch of Hugo Bros and the Duchess is a Betfred betting shop (with the recent merger of Betfred and Paddy Power betting firms it may or may not be renamed). In view of my poor recollection of things it's a good job that many SL members do recall things!

PS. Your "On Mondays I used to drive my boss back in his Jaguar with the boot stuffed with carrier bags of pound notes" j.c.d. made me :). With pound coins now it would of course be very much heavier!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Leodian wrote:Hoping that a slight deviation off-topic is not minded, despite that they were only closed in very recent years I am already finding it difficult to visually recall the Nags Head and the Duchess (that used to be the Robin Hood?) on Vicar Lane near The Headrow. The Nags Head is now a branch of Hugo Bros and the Duchess is a Betfred betting shop (with the recent merger of Betfred and Paddy Power betting firms it may or may not be renamed). In view of my poor recollection of things it's a good job that many SL members do recall things!

PS. Your "On Mondays I used to drive my boss back in his Jaguar with the boot stuffed with carrier bags of pound notes" j.c.d. made me :). With pound coins now it would of course be very much heavier!

The mention of coins reminds me that when I was still at school I had a Saturday job and holidays in Kirkgate market, if I had had a day off from school I had to give the Boss a hand to carry some takings up to the Bank on Vicar Lane. with 240 copper coins to the pound in canvas bank bags they were extremely heavy. even though in those days much less cash changed hands just a few pounds was back breaking to carry.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Quite right Leodian - The duchess was indeed previously The Robin Hood - and with a reputation anything BUT aristocratic !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

BLAKEY wrote:Quite right Leodian - The duchess was indeed previously The Robin Hood - and with a reputation anything BUT aristocratic !!
The Dolphin on the same side of Vicar lane was as bad if not worse.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Another "memory lapse" here j.c.d. - where exactly please was The Dolphin as I don't remember that one at all ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

BLAKEY wrote:Another "memory lapse" here j.c.d. - where exactly please was The Dolphin as I don't remember that one at all ??

Blakey, the Dolphin public house was just a bit higher up from King Edward Street

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
:arrow:
Last edited by buffaloskinner on Mon 14 Sep, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

BLAKEY wrote:Another "memory lapse" here j.c.d. - where exactly please was The Dolphin as I don't remember that one at all ??
If you walked past the General Elliot pub there was the then Post Office and the Dolphin was set back slightly. it was frequented mainly by the Caribbean immigrants in the 1950's and not really a popular place with your average drinker. I remember seeing a couple of fights going on outside.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi j.c.d.
thanks for the info re the dolphin pub on vicar lane,to be honest i had never heard of it before,it just goes to show at 71 you live and learn.
regards
sm1

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

snowman1 wrote:hi j.c.d.
thanks for the info re the dolphin pub on vicar lane,to be honest i had never heard of it before,it just goes to show at 71 you live and learn.
regards
sm1
You did not miss much, one Morley lad I worked with lost his front teeth in there one Friday night. You may remember the Great Universal Stores shop next door selling bedding, towels and suchlike ?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Thanks j.c.d. - another memory mystery solved. Although I know the row of shops very well indeed I still can't recall the Dolphin unfortunately - but what a stunningly handsome building it is for sure. :) :)