The Eagle pub on North Street.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

The Eagle pub on North Street.

Post by Leodian »

Passing by The Eagle pub on North Street several times in the last couple or so weeks I've noticed that the pub door was always closed and there did not seem to be any activity going on inside, as far as I could tell. Has the pub closed?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

WiggyDiggy

Re: The Eagle pub on North Street.

Post by WiggyDiggy »

I think so yes, theres a review on tripadvisor that cryptically starts "Sadly now closed" but doesnt give details other than SSMiths are thinking of turning it into a B&B.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Planning application

http://tinyurl.com/q2m844f

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks WiggyDiggy and uncle mick for that information. I notice that the application was made on 8 January 2015 but the decision was made on 24 June 2015 which will likely account for the recent closure.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Passing by on a bus today (August 13 2015) I noticed that the inside seems to be already getting well cleared.

I've realised that I've called it The Eagle pub, but its actual name is The Eagle Tavern. I wonder if there is a distinction between a pub and a tavern?

liits

Post by liits »

[quote="Leodian" I wonder if there is a distinction between a pub and a tavern?[/quote]
As a rule of thumb, Inn & Tavern pertained to beer houses, Hotel generally meant fully licensed and had nothing necessarily to do with providing accommodation.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I was telling the ex. landlord Les Moon about the future of the Eagle and he said from memory it had eight rooms already upstairs so making it accommodation only would be no problem .

RobH

Post by RobH »

Just returned to Leeds after a few years away a felt a pang of sadness when I saw scaffolding up around the Eagle. Used to pop in there for the odd pint when I worked on the trading estate on the other side of the interchange. Glad to hear that it seems to be just undergoing a major refurb, rather than being turned into flats (which is what I thought when I peered through the window this morning and saw an partion wall inserted where the pool table used to be). Planning app seems to suggest a "return to the original layout" which will be interesting to see.

Sheepscar in particular has been stripped of its pubs, The Globe, Vic, Pointer, White Stag and Maguires all gone in the last 10-15 years, only the New Roscoe left with the Eagle being out of action. I noticed however that there is a new bar called "The Brunswick" just up from the Reliance, and a Brew Dog bar further down towards town on the junction with New York Road, so maybe the traditional pubs are just being replaced by bars.

9641roger

Post by 9641roger »

j.c.d. wrote:I was telling the ex. landlord Les Moon about the future of the Eagle and he said from memory it had eight rooms already upstairs so making it accommodation only would be no problem .

I ran The Eagle from 1981-83 and can confirm that there are 8 letting rooms

RobH

Post by RobH »

The Eagle is back open, and has had a complete re-fit compared to what I remember. The bar is in a different location and internal walls have been added to increase the number of 'drinking' rooms to 4 (in contrast to the standard pub-refit method of knocking internal walls down). There's still a pool table, in one of the back rooms now rather than up against the bay window at the front.