The Eagle pub on North Street.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Steve Jones

Re: The Eagle pub on North Street.

Post by Steve Jones »

so is The Eagle a real ale pub again?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Steve Jones wrote:so is The Eagle a real ale pub again?

As long as it's not only that ghastly Sam Smiths they used to serve up.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Maybe i shall change my mind about drinking the "Staff of Life" after all,regardless of taste. This Morning Daily Mail mentions a Lass from Tadcaster who was a Sex addict and Five times a day was simply not enough so she Rebecca .Barker moved to France.
Don't think at my age i could do a great deal for her. Where was she 50 years ago when my Pals and i used to go out to the "Buckles Inn"
Last edited by volvojack on Thu 03 May, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

The Buckles Inn, on the A64 between Tadcaster and York, was a popular place to go on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights during the 1950's/60's, and the pub is still there. I can remember bus trips going there on 'Works Do's' and it was also well known for Hen Parties and Stag Nights, etc. There were other similar places, nearer to Leeds, that had a similar reputation - the Peacock at Yeadon, the Dyneley Arms on Pool Bank, the Westbourne at Otley, the Hare and Hounds at Menston and the Star and Garter at Kirkstall.

Nowadays, the Peacock has been replaced by housing/flats, the Westbourne is a Curry House, the Star and Garter is now business premises and the Hare and Hounds is for sale and likely to become flats/houses (planning permission has been applied for). The Dyneley Arms is still a pub but many years ago the place was destroyed by fire, was empty for a couple of years, and was then rebuilt but it never recovered its trade. I pass the pub regularly and the car park is always empty - I don't know how it is surviving.

They were all places to meet people, have a drink and have a dance. I think that the drink/drive laws, the introduction of discotheques and other clubs affected them. They were always an alternative to other dance places in Leeds such as the Old Mecca, New Mecca, the Majestic and the Capitol, besides dance schools like Olga Sheard's, the Central and Mark Altmans.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello Ian,
Your list certainly brought back some Happy memories. There was also another Large Pub / Roadhouse out that , way was the same sort of place as the Buckles, just can't bring the name to mind. Maybe the "Wild Man"
I did go to all of those places except for the Central , unless it was that musty damp place below Burtons and then it was a Peny Arcade/Waxworks. this was in the late1940s and i do know when i mentioned it before Leodian could not quite bring it to mind.