Sir Robert Peel Inn

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
JudeDowling

Sir Robert Peel Inn

Post by JudeDowling »

I'm new to this site so this pub may have been discussed already. I'm looking for information on the Sir Robert Peel Inn which was at 46 Whitehall Road in the 1911 Census. I know it doesn't exist now but did until at least 1930. Does anyone know anything about this pub?

buffaloskinner

Re: Sir Robert Peel Inn

Post by buffaloskinner »

Only this from Leodis

8th October 1941 View of excavation for the construction of a static water tank, for emergency use in war-time. On the left is a mechanical digger. The public house on the right is the Sir Robert Peel, with Lord Street to the left and Acomb Street to the right. The main road to which these streets front is Whitehall Road.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

liits

Post by liits »

The Sir Robert Peel had originally been a Wharfdale Brewery beer house, was then taken over by Braim’s of Tadcaster – which became John Smiths, was then leased to Leeds City Breweries and lastly reverted to John Smiths.
It never seems to have made the leap to a full public house license and remained a beer house. I’m unsure of the exact date of its closure but it was certainly around in 1957 when Tom Brown became the licensee.

Sallyh

Post by Sallyh »

Hi Jude, we have recently found out that my great grandfather John William Griffiths lived at The Sir Robert Peel inn on Whitehall road. We understand his father was the landlord there around 1901. Not sure whether he was still there in 1911 but John was killed in action in 1916. We have not been able to track whereabouts the inn was situated, as Whitehall road is such a long road and the numbering has changed. It would be fascinating to hear what your connection is and of any information you have found. Thanks regards Sally

liits

Post by liits »

Sir Robert Peel.jpg
Sir Robert Peel.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 9964 times
Here you go.
The three pubs marked in red are;
A. The Sir Robert Peel
B. The Sun Inn
C. The Goodmans Arms
John William’s father, Fred Griffiths was the licensee of the Sir Robert Peel from 3rd May 1901 until 16th December 1904. This was his only stint as a publican in Leeds.
Fred [not Frederick] was born on 15th September 1861, the oldest son of Henry and Hannah Griffiths. His father, Henry, had been the licensee of the premises from 11th August 1881 to 7th August 1891 [although he had actually died on the 30th of June] when the license transferred to his mother, Hannah. She held the license for almost ten years until she dies on 26th Feb 1901 Fred took over the running of the pub, the license transferring to him on 3rd May of that year.

Sallyh

Post by Sallyh »

Thanks liits, for all the information. This is a great start for our research into the family tree. Also for the map, I know exactly where it was now. Is your interest in Leeds and the lost pubs. Or did you also have a family connection.

Regards Sally

liits

Post by liits »

I've no family connection to the Grifiths'.just an interest in Leeds and its pubs and family history.

Sallyh

Post by Sallyh »

Well very comprehensive thanks!

Lesley C

Post by Lesley C »

Hi Sally H.

My Grandfather was Dennis Griffiths, John's younger brother. He had another brother Tommy who was also killed in the first world war aged just 19.
Dennis was too young to be in the war.

We knew John had been married and had a child when he was killed.

I too have been researching the whereabouts of the Sir Robert Peel Inn on Whitehall Rd and that is how I found your post.

It looks like we are related.

Lesley C

Lesley C

Post by Lesley C »

Thank you Lilts for the information and map you posted.
Regards, Lesley