Sir Robert Peel Inn

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
j.c.d.

Re: Sir Robert Peel Inn

Post by j.c.d. »

Different Pub, same name on Dewsbury Rd. anybody remember this one, think it was a Ramsdens House. higher up was the Green Man though on the main road never seemed to have many customers.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Definitely Ramsdens
from Leodis http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

I'm struggling on the location though. Presumably somewhere between the Junction and Burton Avenue or was it nearer Jack Lane. I am not old enough to remember Dewsbury Road before the then M1 (now M621) was built.
Last edited by tyke bhoy on Mon 10 Aug, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

liits

Post by liits »

The Dewsbury Road version of the Sir Robert Peel was indeed a Ramsden's pub, a beer house actually. In 1962 an application was made [and granted] to add wine & spirits to its license, effectively making it a full-on license in everything but name. It didn't last long, though, as the license was voluntarily suspended on 30th September 1966.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

tyke bhoy wrote:Definitely Ramsdens

I'm struggling on the location though. Presumably somewhere between the Junction and Burton Avenue or was it nearer Jack Lane. I am not old enough to remember Dewsbury Road before the then M1 (now M621) was built.

I am sure it gets plenty of traffic today as it lies under the sliproad of the M621 at the bottom of Dewsbury Road opposite New Craven Gate
Attachments
Fox Terrace.JPG
Fox Terrace.JPG (218.32 KiB) Viewed 8663 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Error, apologies.
Last edited by j.c.d. on Mon 10 Aug, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

tyke bhoy wrote:Definitely Ramsdens

It was on the left hand side of Dewsbury Road just above the Railway, more or less opp. Derby Crescent. not far from Jack Lane which had the Parkfield Pub on the corner. there was another Pub next door and the Silver Cross on the other side but my memory gets a bit hazy.

They used to say it was impossible to have a pint in every Pub on Dewsbury Rd. starting at the White House (on the Meadow Rd. junction) to Tommy Wass's at the top and still be on your feet.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

j.c.d. wrote: It was on the left hand side of Dewsbury Road just above the Railway, more or less opp. Derby Crescent. not far from Jack Lane which had the Parkfield Pub on the corner. there was another Pub next door and the Silver Cross on the other side but my memory gets a bit hazy.

They used to say it was impossible to have a pint in every Pub on Dewsbury Rd. starting at the White House (on the Meadow Rd. junction) to Tommy Wass's at the top and still be on your feet.
Yes JCD I already put that on the map below ;)

:arrow:

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Sorry, don't know how I missed the red square, maybe I should visit Specsavers.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

j.c.d. wrote:Sorry, don't know how I missed the red square, maybe I should visit Specsavers.
No problem, but unless people are ancient they would not know the old streets down there. Always easier to put the old maps up.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

buffaloskinner wrote:
j.c.d. wrote:Sorry, don't know how I missed the red square, maybe I should visit Specsavers.
No problem, but unless people are ancient they would not know the old streets down there. Always easier to put the old maps up.

And for those not old enough the road running through the middle is a section of Dewsbury Road that no longer exists. Heading north just after the Junction it continued straight to the left end of Parkfield Street as opposed to it now kinking at the Spinning Wheel towards the right end of Parkfield Street before snaking left and then right to its old track at AQL (previously LCC and Sulzers). Obviously the one way system has further corrupted the route in both directions.

I've also learnt something new in that I always assumed that Parkfield Street was actually Jack Lane and that Jack Lne used to be continous with only the section between AQL and the M621 slip just above what used to be Fletchers had gone. It now appears to me it never was continous!
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/