Sir Robert Peel Inn

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
j.c.d.

Re: Sir Robert Peel Inn

Post by j.c.d. »

Parkfield St was just above Jack Lane from and then as I recall it joined Jack Lane after a few hundred yards which then continued on past what then became Leek St flats.. . The short St. I refer to was on reflection maybe not Parkfield St. perhaps another map may show.

On the earlier map I noticed Mario St. which was up near Hunslet Hall Road. my Mother lived there when she first got married and opposite was an Irish family, the O'Tooles. one of their Children was called Peter who went on to become a famous drinker and also a bit of an Actor.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi tyke bhoy i thought the same used to think it went has far as the Queens Picture House just shows you how you can be wrong.But then when you are a kid you dont take notice about road signs come to think of it i dont now, the whole area has changed beyond recognition i can still see in my minds eye how it used to be.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

tilly wrote:Hi tyke bhoy i thought the same used to think it went has far as the Queens Picture House just shows you how you can be wrong.But then when you are a kid you dont take notice about road signs come to think of it i dont now, the whole area has changed beyond recognition i can still see in my minds eye how it used to be.
Can't remember the name of the Pub on the corner of jack lane opposite the Queens Cinema. think it was a John Smiths.

You are so right when you say "Can still see it as it used to be"

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The current layout.

In the bottom right the T-Junction is Leathley Road with what I still believe is Jack Lane. Jack Lane continues towards and it to the area that used to be Leek Street but is bisected by the A61 (Inner Ring Road/Hunslet Distributor). Although going against the traffic flow at some point after Leathley Road heading west the road does become Parkfield Street. Drawing a straight line from there across the inside of the A653 (Dewsbury Road) curve would meet Jack Lane which can be seen top left where the A653 continues on Meadow Road.

Now it is possible the course of Jack Lane has been changed from Leathley Road but if it did I think it would have to have still been very close to Parkfield Street. Its also possible that the original Parkfield Street disappeared and a short section of Jack Lane was renamed again though they would have to have been pretty much on top of each other. The only other explanation is that as I wrote earlier I've learned something new and Jack Lane never was continous.
Attachments
parkfield street.GIF
parkfield street.GIF (88.01 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

According to the 1906 OS map, Jack Lane from East to West took the right fork at the junction with Parkfield Street, crossed first Dewsbury Road and then Meadow Road, past the Queens, past Princess Field School at the S bend, and ended at the junction with Marshall Street by the still extant library building. Beyond this point it became (and still is) Nineveh Road.

The most recent Leeds Street map I have (2010) still has this last section from the site of Meadow Road to Marshall Street as being Jack Lane.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jim wrote:According to the 1906 OS map, Jack Lane from East to West took the right fork at the junction with Parkfield Street, crossed first Dewsbury Road and then Meadow Road, past the Queens, past Princess Field School at the S bend, and ended at the junction with Marshall Street by the still extant library building. Beyond this point it became (and still is) Nineveh Road.

The most recent Leeds Street map I have (2010) still has this last section from the site of Meadow Road to Marshall Street as being Jack Lane.
So to be clear Jack Lane forked right, into what now is the Apex industrial estate, at Parkfield Street (not far off a straight continuation) and then presumably bore left again to meet up with the still existing section beyond Meadow Road? I'm not questioning what you say just clarifying what appears a rather strange street configuration.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

This view shown on the old and new maps here might help..
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebysi ... ht=BingHyb

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

jim wrote:According to the 1906 OS map, Jack Lane from East to West took the right fork at the junction with Parkfield Street, crossed first Dewsbury Road and then Meadow Road, past the Queens, past Princess Field School at the S bend, and ended at the junction with Marshall Street by the still extant library building. Beyond this point it became (and still is) Nineveh Road.

That is just as it was up to the 1960s and going the other way crossing Dewsbury Road it continued through Hunslet past Fowlers Engineering works, across Leathley Rd and as far as I recall ended some where the council houses are on the right hand side. those houses were still there when I was last in Leeds.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks Tabbycat much clearer now

CAROLIVER

Post by CAROLIVER »

This is exciting!
I just started getting to grips with the Griffiths branch of my family tree. I’ve known for a while that Fred and his family ran The Sir John Peel Inn. Fred was my great grandfather, his son Clifford was my Grandfather and his son Dennis was my dad. Haven’t quite fathomed my relationship with some of you! Very interested to hear any further info and happy to share mine.