The Bulls Head Domestic stree Holbeck

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
mickbrown51

The Bulls Head Domestic stree Holbeck

Post by mickbrown51 »

Hi everywon my first post on this site.My father was the landlord at the Bulls Head on Domestic street I live there for about 8 years. I worked as a Auto Electrian at leeds Ignition it was the old Gainsborough picture house building. Lots of things changed down there loses of the old pubs closed like everywhere they were happy days.if any won remembers them days please reply would be great to here.

tilly

Re: The Bulls Head Domestic stree Holbeck

Post by tilly »

Hi mickbrown 51 Welcome to the site its a shame to see the Bulls Head now i dont know anything about this pub.I can go back has far as the nineteen fifties in this area.Used to live in Hunslet and go to the two picture houses on Domestic Street the one at the other side of the road from the Bulls Head.And the one opposite what is now Salford Van Hire I remember the little workshops under the viaduct long gone now also Holbeck Feast watched them build the multi story flats also see them knocked down.Can you go back far enough to remember the Queens Picture House not far from the old Holbeck Library.?Happy days.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

mickbrown51

Post by mickbrown51 »

Thanks for your rely tilly, I bough my first car from Oldriges garage as is Salford van hire, there was a gypsy camp half why up domestic street, some came in the pub never any trouble . My dad was told if there was ever any trouble just to have a word with the leader of the camp and he would sort it out. But dad could handle his self a ex boxer in the army, and he kept a big syhaley under the bar which he only used wonce . Lots of good memoaries

mickbrown51

Post by mickbrown51 »

Sorry tilly got carried away carnt remember the Queens Picture house ony the won up from the pub which was the Star bingo was that it I don't know i rember all the little workshops under the viaducts, Dads first pub was around the corner from that it was the George, not far from the Voulnteer the landlord was Nicknamed the general.

jim

Post by jim »

I remember going to the Queens Picture house in around 1950 Tilly. My mother taught for a while at the nearby Princess Field School. I also remember playing gigs at the Coach and Horses just across the railway bridge from the Queens.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

mickbrown51 wrote:Sorry tilly got carried away carnt remember the Queens Picture house ony the won up from the pub which was the Star bingo was that it I don't know i rember all the little workshops under the viaducts, Dads first pub was around the corner from that it was the George, not far from the Voulnteer the landlord was Nicknamed the general.

Star Bingo was the Dominion Cinema at the Top of Domestic St.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

The Bulls Head re opened recently but the Brittania has been closed for a while and the Spooted Cow has been bulldozed in the last few weeks
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

The Brittania Pub is now surrounded by newly built flats and I would think is destined for the same.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jim Hope you are keeping well i remember the Queens was once a Theater long before my time it had three balcony's.The top one was not used it was a bit spooky when you looked up.I used to go to the Palace Picture House i think it was at the junction of Meadow Lane and Dewsbury Road The pub you gigged at would that have been on Jack Lane.? :)
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

The Queens Jack Lane as you say was once a Theatre and when watching a fllm you had to make sure you were not behind a Post. The Coach and Horses (John Smiths0 was on the junction of Elland Rd. and Beeston Rd.