Primrose Inn Newtown

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
loiner99

Primrose Inn Newtown

Post by loiner99 »

I was only young at the time and just started going to St Charles school up on York Road but does anyone remember (or have any info) re the Primrose inn in Newtown. It was a Hemingways house and it was run by, mainly, by my mum and my Grandma with my dad holding down a day job at the LGI as a painter and decorator. I had lots of fun helping him tap the barrels and helping (getting in the way of) the deliverymen with their big dray horses. My aunty and her family, at the same time - late 50s early 60s, kept the Black Horse in Mabgate
batchoy

dogduke

Re: Primrose Inn Newtown

Post by dogduke »

From memory ?,the Primrose pub was on Robson Street.
Robson Street today would be up Lincoln Road past the old Cherry Tree pub,where it levels out on the left is Lincoln Towers,Robson St.started about there,could not see the pub on a quick Leodis search though.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Sorry,on the RIGHT at the top of Lincoln Road.It was a long time ago.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

dogduke wrote:Sorry,on the RIGHT at the top of Lincoln Road.It was a long time ago.
It was just off to the left off Lincoln Green Road walking along from Mabgate towards Beckett St. It was on the end of a row of back to backs and come the slum clearance we were the last building to be demolished. I can still smell the smell of demolished building dust - it got everywhere. Do you know if there are any sites which show street maps of the area from the 50s/60s. I think/hope I will recognise the street name if I see/hear it ?
batchoy

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

Primrose Inn - found it. On Leeds tithe maps of 1910 it shows at the junction of Pear Street and Pollard Street
batchoy