Leeds Real Ale Quarter

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
cnosni
Site Admin

Re: Leeds Real Ale Quarter

Post by cnosni »

Well i love a cheap drink as well but some of these beers are imported from continental micro breweries and thats whey they are expensive.

If faced with then choice of paying 8 quid for a quality great tasting beer and a pint of Carling/John Smiths etc then 8 quid will do for one drink.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

And if you're down at The Hop, its only a skip and a jump to the Cross Keys, the Midnight Bell and the legendary Grove...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I only went in Friends of Ham once this year with a girlfriend,too pricey and full of pretentious types.We went in The Grove the other week after a long absence.Still nice but under he new owner we noticed it is sticking to well known breweries and not many small ones.It still has a Moorhouse beer on permanently though.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

cnosni wrote:Well i love a cheap drink as well but some of these beers are imported from continental micro breweries and thats whey they are expensive.

If faced with then choice of paying 8 quid for a quality great tasting beer and a pint of Carling/John Smiths etc then 8 quid will do for one drink.
I think this is reference to me, but I cant see the original post as maybe lost in the move...

Anyway - I agree, within reason. The barmaid should have laid the price out upfront, or offered a half instead, and when challenged as to why it was £8 she just shrugged and said "yeah it is excpensive".

As it was we had the £8 beer, and left for Leeds Bewary on the corner were we didnt have Carling/JS but some nice LB instead!

And FoH is still pretentious, goes with the territory for some bars (Hello Belgravia!)

snowman1

new wetherspoons in morley

Post by snowman1 »

we have just tried the new wetherspoons in morley it was packed out,nice to see a new pub opening (in our time).it will nice in summer as it has a roof terrace
regards to all
sm1

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took the second and third photos today (May 28 2015) of the Head of Steam real ale pub (see the first post in this thread). The second shows a view from Mill Hill and the third is close-up of the old Black Lion name that is still on this old pub that was later known as Spencers before becoming the Head of Steam (I don't know if it has had other names). While still Spencers an ornate lamp over the door had Tetley's signs on it but this new ornate lamp does not have them. I wonder what happened to the old lamp with the signs?

After posting I thought I would add this photo that I took on October 24 2011 showing the Black Lion name and the old ornate lamp with the Tetley's signs at what was then Spencers. This is now the first photo in this post as I don't know how to change the order of photos once they have been posted (if it can be done).
Attachments
Photo taken Oct 24 2011 at what was then the pub called Spencers.
Photo taken Oct 24 2011 at what was then the pub called Spencers.
009R.jpg (141.39 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
View of the Head of Steam bar from Mill Hill (May 28 2015).
View of the Head of Steam bar from Mill Hill (May 28 2015).
017R.jpg (166.75 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
Black Lion name at the Head of Steam (May 28 2015).
Black Lion name at the Head of Steam (May 28 2015).
016R.jpg (141.41 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Wasn't that The Prince of Wales at some point, or am I getting mixed up? I haven't been in to my home city more than 2 or 3 times since changing my job in 2008, even though I live within 6 miles of the Town Hall. I know, shameful isn't it?
The older I get, the better I was.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Bruno wrote:Wasn't that The Prince of Wales at some point, or am I getting mixed up? I haven't been in to my home city more than 2 or 3 times since changing my job in 2008, even though I live within 6 miles of the Town Hall. I know, shameful isn't it?
Hi Bruno :). I don't know if it was ever called that or not. I'm not a drinker and it is around 20 years since I was last in any pub/bar/restaurant (even that was only for a meal). Breweries don't get any profit from my drinking!

liits

Post by liits »

The PoW is on the other side of the street. The Black Lion was always known as such until it became Spencer's.
The "old" Tetley's sign was part of the 1978-81 re-branding, they were made at Oldham Signs on Crossgreen Approach, so I suppose thirty odd years does qualify them as old.
The building as it is today dates only from 1901 - it opened on 6th December of that year, although premises of the same name had existed on the part of the present site since at least the 1800's. For many years it was part of the Whitelock family empire of pubs.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that information liits :).