Leeds Real Ale Quarter

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
zip55

Re: Leeds Real Ale Quarter

Post by zip55 »

liits wrote:The PoW is on the other side of the street. The Black Lion was always known as such until it became Spencer's.
The "old" Tetley's sign was part of the 1978-81 re-branding, they were made at Oldham Signs on Crossgreen Approach, so I suppose thirty odd years does qualify them as old.
The building as it is today dates only from 1901 - it opened on 6th December of that year, although premises of the same name had existed on the part of the present site since at least the 1800's. For many years it was part of the Whitelock family empire of pubs.
If they were made at Oldham Signs around 78 - 81 there's a very good chance my brother Glenn made them.

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

The HOS BTW is an amazing improvement on Spencers and has a very good selection of draught and bottled ales, however its not cheap as it seems to be playing onto the current fashionable trend for ales so when in Leeds I as still prefer Whitelocks/The Ship/Duck and Drake for my real ale needs.

Is the POW still going ok? I used to booze there regularly for a time but the landlord changed and it lost a lot of the ales on tap.

Leigh80

Post by Leigh80 »

Re: The POW; in line with the current 'regeneration' of that area as a new-era drinking quarter, it's now a pub called Bah T'ap (sic) that serves 'craft ales' and hot dogs (I know). So the building in still in use but under new owners and no longer the POW.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

wiggydiggy
i dont no when you were last in the ship,the prices in there are higher than the head of steam.
regards
sm1